Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: how long are MRIs/CT scans accurate?  (Read 307 times)

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
how long are MRIs/CT scans accurate?
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:33:41 AM »
if i had a CT scan two years ago to look at my sinuses and it came back clear of no tumors, would that still be accurate today? for months now i've been dealing with some wicked vertigo and spacey feelings among a handful of other head-related symptoms (imagine having eye strain 24/7) and i can't for the life of me shut off the brain tumor fear. it's pretty much taken over my life and i'm trying so hard not to rush off to another emergency room to get another CT scan or MRI, but the fear is so strong that i'm desperate for another scan since i haven't had one in two years. i'm worried a tumor might have grown since then or the scan was taken too early to pick up a possible tumor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: how long are MRIs/CT scans accurate?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 05:20:44 AM »
Think back when this started, you said a few months ago.  Did it start very suddenly and stay about the same?  If so then it's no tumor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemmaa0207

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 07:09:24 AM »
I've often wondered this I had a ct scan about 12 months ago which was clear that was to check for a blood clot. 2 years is a long time if you are very concerned why don't you request one? It must be a pain having eye strain have you seen an optition it could be as simple of you needing glasses and they can pick on any abnormalities behind your eyes. I had brain tumour fears last year mainly due to me losing my sense of smell and taste was dreadful but after tests it was all down to allergies and of course anxiety didn't help! My doctor said to me the big symptoms of brain tumours are fits and seizures so unless you are having them put the brain tumour fear to the back if your head :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 07:29:53 AM »
To be honest, mris and ct scans are only good while doing the scan. As soon as it is over, something can change. Same with any test. You can have an ekg and it be perfect, walk out the door five minutes later, and have a heart attack. You don't seem to have symptoms of a brain tumor though. If you are concerned talk to your doctor but I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »
i forgot to mention that just about two months ago i had an eye exam that came back fine. would that have picked up any brain abnormalities? i've heard of people's tumors being picked up through eye exams, so that reassured me a little, but of course the reassurance never lasts long. :(

thank you guys for your replies, i wish i could get over this fear since it's been one of my most pervasive ones.
Bookmark and Share