Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone deal with Homework Anxiety?  (Read 145 times)

Offline Ecker27

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone deal with Homework Anxiety?
« on: February 25, 2014, 10:06:19 PM »
After taking several years off of school due to Anxiety related issues, I am now back in college. I have always had severe issues with procrastination but lately things have been really bad. I'm sitting here next to an assignment that will take me a mere 30 minutes to complete, and yet I can't touch the paper, just glance at it with a racing chest and brain full of anxiety. Odds are I will wait until right before class and quickly complete it. But I am sick of repeating this cycle.. I've had anxiety over this stupid assignment the last week, and it's nothing complicated or scary, yet I just can't bring myself to do it. My OCD will allow me to think of nothing else besides this assignment, to the point where I have barely slept the last several nights, so I sit here torturing myself instead of just DOING the damn paper.

Has anyone dealt with this or have any tips towards fixing this issue? I am in my second year of school and soon I won't be able to get by on this procrastination, luckily I'm intelligent and great at B.S. but I don't know if I can keep scrounging by like I have been.

Thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone deal with Homework Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 04:47:52 PM »
Hiya,

Well, procrastination I have found often comes from a fear of failure or being found out that I was not as good as I thought I was expected to be . . . . even short assignments of little if any consequence would take hours upon hours of staring at blank sheets of paper  . . .but, I got sick of repeating the cycle just as you are but only you can take action to change . . . .

So, depending on what type of assignment it is, do a check list. Small chunks . . . even 1 minute. . .  and put an estimate on that activity and do not go beyond it. If, for example, you say 5 minutes and you have not done anything . . .beep, go on to the next chunk, and return.

Then, do a chunk at a time . . . of course, you actually have to do it . . .

The other issue may be that you like the thrill of doing something at the last minute under pressure . . . a shot of adrenaline and a superior sense of achievement . . .yep, this might work because you are intelligent and great at BS, but in the real world, if you are doing a piece of a project and you are working with other people, they will stomp all over you :)

Look at it this way . . .the sooner you get the assignment done, the more you can reach out to someone else . . . . I am sure that intelligent people are in great demand at homework clubs for younger students who are having problems . . . so, do what you need to do, don't fear getting it done, and take that adrenaline rush and put it to go use . . .yes, it is harder to do than to say, but BS yourself into doing it . . . and let us know how you are doing . .. take care, kc

p.s.  I was also a procrastinator and I turned out to be a faculty member  ..  . .like I say, use that adrenaline to good use
Bookmark and Share

Offline Paws

• The Fabulous
  • Rec's: 1
  • Kitties!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:30:50 PM »
Worries are a bothersome thing. They can make you doubt everything and help achieve nothing. I am quite the slacker myself. Bringing myself to ignore my negative thoughts when preparing to do something productive is still something I am working on, but for the time being, the best advice I can give you is the classic "Just do it." Don't think too much on it. Thinking doesn't help. You will find more reasons to postpone the work, be it either fear of failure or the usual "I can do it later" mindset. Instead, go in another room and tell yourself that you are going to do that task, no matter what. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad. The only certainty here is that you WILL do the task at some point, so might as well just get it over with.

What helps are the following: motivation, reason as to why you have to do that thing, and the end goal. Think a bit about those and then tackle the task. And no matter what, DO NOT PONDER about the end result. Your mind will trick you into postponing it because you're either not in the mood, or it's going to be crap, or basically any excuse to give up. Don't. Finish the work and evaluate it after.
Bookmark and Share
Work hard, and slack harder.

Offline Ecker27

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »
Thank you both very much for the constructive responses! Although still difficult, you have offered some great advice and it's comforting to know I'm not alone in this.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: