Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone strained a muscle from being over-stressed/anxious  (Read 376 times)

Offline JTD88

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone strained a muscle from being over-stressed/anxious
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:08:01 PM »
Cuz I sure have! My job is very stressful now since I am the "assistant Manager" and 2 weeks ago I had to drive home in the snow, took over 2 hours (was very tense the ENTIRE time, I'm sure it did a toll on my body). I also got the flu 2 weeks ago, and been coughing and hacking quite a bit... I now feel like my chest is being stabbed with a knife everytime it tightens up even slightly.

Went to the doctors and they said my lungs sounded fine, blood pressure was normal, etc, so the only real thing that makes sense is that all this stress on my chest/body over the last 2+ weeks has messed it up. If this doesn't go away SOON then I am going to demand an xray and a doctors note for getting more time off work!

Anyone else have a similar story.....?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone strained a muscle from being over-stressed/anxious
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:02:07 PM »
I did, on the night i found out about my harmless mitral valve prolapse. Because first my chest started to feel weird. then I got scared. and soon there was pain shooting through my chest and in my back. I went to the ER, got in right away. After a efw short tests I had the undeniable symptoms of a mitral valve prolapse, a minor one. It could not have caused the pain.

My chest, back and neck hurt for days after. To the point that they gave me painkillers to make sure i wouldnt freak out again, since it really hurt. All from the terror of that odd sensation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline babagun00sh

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:55:13 PM »
I get really bad all over body aches when I have anxiety. I think it's caused by your muscles contracting because you tense up during anxiety attacks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:34:23 PM »
Yes!!!!  Definitely in my neck, shoulders, upper back, and ribs (that costochondroititis thing).  Yes, when I am stressed, I tighten all those muscles up and if I am not exercising regularly then I get major problems - anything from pain to tension headaches to sensations of swelling (when I feel it, it doesn't physically feel swelled) to very sore ribs.  I have not sought out medical testing for any of this (I have HA and try to avoid the extra testing), however, I was seeing a massotherapist regularly and that helped alot.  It made me really realize how tight my muscles were and that the problems I was having were related (they eased up as I was seeing him regularly). 

I can tell you that coughing and "hacking" when you are sick will totally mess up the back/chest muscles (I had that happen too one time when I had bronchitis - and that was medically diagnosed).  Plus if your were tensing your back and shoulder muscles while driving and they stayed tight (you didn't stretch them), it causes issues to your front chest muscles as well (kind of throws them out of whack since your back is - they become off balance - my masso talked to me about that).  So your muscle pain makes total sense.  I would work on stretching and balancing your muscles first before running off for testing - a massotherapist would probably really help you.  Hope you feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Offline JTD88

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »
Yes!!!!  Definitely in my neck, shoulders, upper back, and ribs (that costochondroititis thing).  Yes, when I am stressed, I tighten all those muscles up and if I am not exercising regularly then I get major problems - anything from pain to tension headaches to sensations of swelling (when I feel it, it doesn't physically feel swelled) to very sore ribs.  I have not sought out medical testing for any of this (I have HA and try to avoid the extra testing), however, I was seeing a massotherapist regularly and that helped alot.  It made me really realize how tight my muscles were and that the problems I was having were related (they eased up as I was seeing him regularly). 

I can tell you that coughing and "hacking" when you are sick will totally mess up the back/chest muscles (I had that happen too one time when I had bronchitis - and that was medically diagnosed).  Plus if your were tensing your back and shoulder muscles while driving and they stayed tight (you didn't stretch them), it causes issues to your front chest muscles as well (kind of throws them out of whack since your back is - they become off balance - my masso talked to me about that).  So your muscle pain makes total sense.  I would work on stretching and balancing your muscles first before running off for testing - a massotherapist would probably really help you.  Hope you feel better soon.

WOW! Thank you for all of that amazing info  :action-smiley-065:
I tense up SO much whenever I drive in traffic/long distances now (PTSD? lol), definitely putting a damper on my life, and being sick as well sure doesn't help! My girlfriend gave me an AMAZING massage about a week and a half ago and said there were SO MANY knots in my back.

Also, I haven't been able to do a whole lot of working out, so I am almost certain that that is causing me to feel very off!

Thank you again for all the info! I've been doing a ton of yoga lately and it sure seems to help a bit :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »
Glad it was helpful.  Remember - it takes a long time for muscles to relax and heal.  I do yoga too when my muscles are tense.  It helps.  As does deep breathing exercises - it helps stretch & relax the chest & back muscles.  Take care and work on the stretching!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Tags: