Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: my colonoscopy is scheduled for this Friday  (Read 252 times)

Offline everette

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
my colonoscopy is scheduled for this Friday
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
And I am scared to death!
Bookmark and Share

Online rileybug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: my colonoscopy is scheduled for this Friday
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 04:53:20 PM »
It is not that bad-you're asleep and you get the results asap-no waiting for test results like scans and biosopys-quick and easy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 04:58:59 PM »
Exactly... the prep is dreadful, but the actual procedure is great thanks to warm blankets and great drugs. You'll either be in twilight sleep so you can watch the scope or in full sleep, and you get the results immediately (unless they biopsy something, in which case you'll hear a few days later). 

The vast majority of colonoscopies turn out benign... especially among people with HA as anxiety worsens bowel issues (and we're naturally more sensitive to them anyway). 
Bookmark and Share

Offline everette

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 07:12:42 PM »
He did say that it would be a mild sleep not like not like when you have surgery.

I'm not as worried about the colonoscopy as I am about the results.
Although I have not had any symptoms other than a few small spots of blood on tissue and on stool after straining because of constipation.

I feel and he agreed that it's probably hemhttp://www.anxietyzone.com/Smileys/default/tongue.giforrhoids but you would have to know my recent anxiety history to understand why I am so worried.

I thought that the stuff that you drink was about a gallon but what they are saying is that it's a half gallon.
One quart the night before and the other the morning of?

I just hope and pray that it will be clear then maybe I can start to get my life back to normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »
I agree with previous posters, the drugs are wonderfulllll. It's nice to wake up to a full report, mine had color photos.  :sprachlos020: I know you're worried about the results, I had tons of blood for a long time and it wasn't cancer. Update us!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:03:48 PM »
I had blood both times, too... no evidence of anything. Yours sounds like a classic case of hemorrhoids or fissures, but whenever gastros hear "blood," the first step is often a colonoscopy. (Especially if the person has insurance that covers it.) 
Bookmark and Share

Offline susiehow

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 09:57:02 PM »
I ve had many colonoscopies.  They are no big deal. The Twilight sleep is great.  You won't remember a thing.  The prep does suck but think of it like a clense.  ;D.  I had blood and my diagnosis turned out to be ulcerative colitis.  As scary as it sounds it's not so bad.  After I was diagnosed I was put on the right meds and have been perfect ever since. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Bookmark and Share
Sue

Offline Steelers629

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 06:18:39 AM »
You will be fine.  You will take an awesome nap and wake up to the doc saying "just a few internal 'roids".  Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 01:11:51 PM »
i'm sorry you're so scared. i was too. i just had one on monday. i was having a tenderness in one area, diarrhea, weight loss(no blood, but still other symptoms)not to mention polpys 6 years ago and a history of breast cancer(myself). so i get it. but, i just had mine and they only found a pre-cancerous polyp. so, those symptoms weren't from that!! it was small and not even near the area of my tenderness! 

anyway, it's scary. but, you can do it. you must. then whatever the outcome, you will move forward. that is better than the deer in headlights reaction that our anxiety tends to cause.

i had a split dose prep. miralax/gatorade. drank half at 3pm then the other half at 3am(my procedure was at 9a).  i also had the dr give me an antinausea drug, so i took that about an hour before i began drinking it. it really helped. the zofran and splitting it helped me keep it down, and i didn't throw it up this time. also, i did a lot of desitin, prep h, and charmin wipes, and i didn't have it too bad at that end either. the prep seemed much more tolerable this time around.

eat light today, it will make it easier.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: