Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Worried sick about melanoma  (Read 253 times)

Offline iyjnn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Worried sick about melanoma
« on: February 25, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »
I'm 19 and I have many moles all over my body but most of them appear to be normal. The biggest mole I have is under my eye and I have had it for as long as I can remember. It's brown in color, smaller than a pencil eraser, and you can clearly tell that it's round, but recently I've noticed that there are lighter brown parts surrounding it that make it seem less rounded. It doesn't appear to be asymmetrical or have any other sign of melanoma but I know that blurred edges are a sign and ever since noticing this I have not been able to stop Googling and I'm convinced I'm dying of melanoma  :sick0002: I can't tell if it's always been like this or if it's a recent change and it's driving me crazy.

Now I can't stop checking all of my moles and I'm convinced they are all developing into melanomas as well. I'm olive skinned and no one in my family has had melanoma, so I believe my only risk factor is having many other moles. My mother also has a lot of moles and has had some removed before but from what I know they were all benign. I know my best option is to see a dermatologist but I have a lot of anxiety about getting them checked out and finding out something is wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mustardtiger56

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried sick about melanoma
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:19:29 AM »
According to statistics Canada only 5 teens died of melanoma in a decade.the odds are on your side.. Everyone has some moles that seem odd. The chart used for melanoma characteristics is flawed. Totally normal moles may have one or 2 odd characteristics and the chart doesn't consider that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:12:05 PM »
I know you don't want to but, make an appt. with a derm to get a full body check so you can put your mind at ease. I had something pop up out of nowhere and was sure it was something bad, but it wasn't. I"m sure you're fine, but make the appt. so you don't worry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PrinceOfWorry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 02:03:31 PM »
I also had a mole with some discoloration around its edges removed and it turned out to be alentiginous junctional nevus. Not cancerous. Please be advised that it is always a good idea to have changes in moles seen by a doctor, but th ABCDs of signs of melanoma do not confirm melanoma. Some changes can be entirely benign.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: