Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Please help this is ruining my very way of life.  (Read 161 times)

Offline Dpunicorn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please help this is ruining my very way of life.
« on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:47 AM »
Okay so for the past week I have developed this extreme irrational fear of choking that is ruining life and keeping me from eating. Every time I try to eat or drink something it feels like It will et stuck and make me choke to death. I cant eat,drink or even swallow my own saliva without feeling like my airway is blocked off and I'm gonna die. This obssessive fear has made me feel like I was actually choking to death on my own saliva and sent me to Emergency Room and caused daily panic attacks where I'm sure I am close to death. My questions are Can someone suffocate on their own saliva? How do you know when you are actually suffocating and your life is in danger? Can you choke to death on little amounts of food or liquid? and How can I stop worrying so much about choking?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please help this is ruining my very way of life.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:24:21 AM »
Hello "D"...

To begin with, if you have concerns that there might actually be something wrong with your esophagus and/or trachea, I suggest you make an appointment with your personal physician, and have this checked-out.  I know that it always puts my mind at ease when my own doctor examines me and conducts necessary tests, and gives me the "all clear" sign.

If your physician can't find any problems with your throat, I think that you can pretty much count on the fact that this is your worry and anxiety that are driving these symptoms.  At this point, you need to ask yourself what are you you doing to put your worries and anxiety to rest.

Known treatments that work for anxiety include therapy, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), the use of anti-depressants, exercise, and taking omega 3/fish oil.  I am on an anti-depressant, and I just recently started CBT.

Anyone can choke on a piece of food.  As for saliva, as long as you don't have a severe neuro-muscular condition, you are not going to choke on your own secretions.

The very best to you, "D"!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: