Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Addressing the "fear"  (Read 231 times)

Offline Nornironhypo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Addressing the "fear"
« on: February 25, 2014, 07:11:21 AM »
As some of you may have read on previous threads I posted, I was diagnosed with Health Anxiety a couple of month ago. My latest bout of symptoms being chronic face rash, finger pain(convinced then and still am that they are clubbing) diarrhea on and off, coughing fits, waking up at nightime or in the morning with a rash on my neck and the top of my shoulders and scratching my scalp like crazy during the night. I also have this bizarre line across my lower scalp just above my neck which looks like a scar but I have never had any injury there. I currently have myself convinced I have lung cancer. I am 32 and I am a heavy smoker so part of me thinks karma is getting its own back on me bizarrely though the more I worry the more I smoke. I have been convinced I have had scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis and all sorts of weird and wonderful diseases. I literally do the schamroth test on my fingers a 100 times a day. I am convinced the little diamond is getting smaller and when I press my nails the skin just below my distal phalanx moves up and down which I think is the "floating sign" again another sign of early clubbing. The pain in my fingers could possibly be explained by me hoaking and poking at them I suppose. It all started when I noticed my wedding ring was very loose and my hands and feet where feeling the cold more than ever before. It felt like my skin was shrivelling.
My GP ran blood tests on me and they were all normal apart from a slight elevation on my liver enzymes but he said that was normal for me. I went to a dermotologist about my rash on my face which has been there for 2 months now and he diagnosed me with sebhorric dermatitis and prescribed a topical steriod which has made absolutely no difference whatsoever.
I asked my GP about my fingers and he laughed and said they are normal but they don't look normal they don't look like anyone elses nails or fingers that I can see. They are in constant pain.
All these symptoms and feelings are literally ruining my life. I can't focus on anything else, not my job, not my friends, not my wife. I am literally at my wits end. Perversely if I knew something was definitely wrong with me that would probably be easier to deal with mentally than this is.
Anyway to cut a long story short I have booked to see my GP in a weeks time. I am going to tell him my fears and symptoms one more time if he says it is all anxiety I am going to ask him to refer me for councilling because I simply cannot go on like this. I need to find someway of addressing the "fear".
I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences of how they addressed and cope with their health anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: Addressing the "fear"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:27:34 AM »
The "fear" can be anything, including fear of simply living, mighty risky business. Call it what you will, living is not easy, not a trip of fun, excitement, thrills, etc. It's a struggle. For most everyone. These days this reality is suppressed, obfuscated.

What to do? A therapist may help, perhaps some meds, some talk therapy, an introduction to CBT and its aspects. Then it's up to you. Believe it or not, learning about yourself, learning to give to others, can be a great adventure of discovery. Give it a chance and share what you learn so we can all learn. That's the beauty of a site like this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nornironhypo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:26:02 AM »
Another night another case of hives all over my shoulder, a few on my stomach and an incredibly itchy scalp and painfully sore fingers. Took an antihistamine before bed and still woke up with the hives this morning. Took another antihistamine(a different type) and it seems to be settling a wee bit. Normally an antihistamine before bed stops me getting the hives overnight. Why has that stopped working???? Also got a dicky tummy again aka the runs as we describe it here. I was really really really anxious yesterday about my fingers could that be the reason for the severe hives? I have read chronic hives can be a sign of lung cancer and along with convincing myself I have finger clubbing I am driving myself to distraction!!!!! Aggggghhhhhhhh!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:13:27 AM »
Now I can usually diagnose everything  :sprachlos020:, but here I am mystified. Still believe the origin is the psyche, but you may need some medication for hives.

Your doctor will help you with hives (no sign of cancer that I ever heard) and your stress and anxiety. Can you try to meditate? Just sit quietly, eyes closed, focusing on breathing slowly, 4 breaths in, 5 out. Imagine yourself in a spot under a tree outdoors and lots of fragrant hyacinths around you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:23:10 AM »
I wonder if you might have an allergy to something.  My daughter gets hives for no explicable reason, so maybe talk to your doctor about that.

Believe me, I understand health fear, as I am still coping with it now.  I think my problem is, I will accept my symptoms as anxiety for only a couple of days and then I go back to thinking I have an auto-immune disease.  Probably, in order for my symptoms to vanish, I will have to TRULY believe the symptoms are from anxiety.  I don't think I've reached that spot yet.

As tinam7 has said, some quiet time and deep breathing will do you a world of good, along with therapy.

Let us know how it goes at the doctor's appointment.

Feel well!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: