Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Struggling with school  (Read 138 times)

Offline HayMichele28

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Struggling with school
« on: February 24, 2014, 03:59:34 PM »
I have been in college since summer of 09'.  I got my cosmetology license and an associate in arts.  I am currently going to school for elementary education.  However, I don't want to continue with school.  I am 23 and engaged.  My fiance doesnt care what I decide to do.  I still live at home with my family.  I really want the support of my family.  I feel like they are what is holding me back from quitting.  They think its a waste for me to quit but i still have about 2 1/2 years left before I get my degree.  Its really stressing me out and causing me panic attacks.  I have a hard time sitting through my classes.  I fail exams because I cant get myself to care about them. Its been really hard on me being torn in 2 different directions and not sure what to do.  My anxiety causes me headaches, sore muscles, dizziness, and chest pains.  I feel completely worn out from it.  I could really use some advice cuz I cant live like this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 163
    • Poke This Member
Re: Struggling with school
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:54:37 AM »
Only you know what you really want in life. I know your family care about you. They are just thinking of the bigger picture. I am sure they don't mean bad at all. But here is were you have to do what you want to do. You are old to make your own choices in life. I am sure once your family see that you have something else lined up they will respect what you are doing. So have a good look around. See what else is out there. Make your plans. Set yourself up with something new. Health always has to come first. If this change will help improve your health then it is worth making. Your family will come round to the whole idea. They won't be mad. It is just a normal concern that they have. I think most parents would be the exact same. But come the end of the day they will support your choices in life.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline mollagan

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 11:35:20 AM »
I agree with Cuchculan... sounds like you need to find something you are more passionate about. There's no reason to put your health on the line for something you dont seem to want. What else do you want to do? Is there another major you'd like more? Or maybe just a break for a semester or 2 could help you decide what YOU really want. Its hard to get through college, especially with anxiety, but you will make it if thats what you want. Otherwise, get out there and find something you love! Those who love you will still be there ;) Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline SummerSun41

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »
I can't believe I'm reading this because I'm in the exact same position!!! I'm 23, engaged (getting married June 2015), he already makes great money, and I already have one bachelor's degree and am in school for another one. However, I've realized in the two semesters since I started this new degree that it isn't what I thought it'd be and my heart just isn't in it. So naturally, I could not care less about school right now. I rarely go to class and don't do as well as I did in my first degree. The problem for me is that there aren't any jobs in my field in my area (heck- there are barely any jobs in my area PERIOD). So between the stress of trying to figure out what to do, planning my wedding, and looking into buying a house, my anxiety is really awful right now. I'm currently reading a book called "How to Stop Worying & Start Living" by Dale Carnegie and one of his first tips is to live day by day, one at a time. It's hard for girls like us because we have to have everything planned out and want to control our futures, but it's best to just focus on today. When you do that and do your best at what you're doing TODAY, you won't have to worry about the future because everything will fall into place.

Do what's best for you. Making yourself happy and being selfish are two very different things so don't get them confused-- but I think you should follow your heart and find something you're passionate about. Believe me- I know how hard that can be. I don't even know what I'm passionate about either. But resist the urge to figure it all out now. We have our whole lives ahead of us to figure it out, so just do your best every day and it'll all fall into place! If you want to talk more or need any more advice, feel free to message me :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline HayMichele28

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 10:59:34 PM »
Thats funny SummerSun41 because we do sound like we are in similar situations.  My fiance makes good money also.  He really could support both of us and I dont really need to work at all but I want to.  My fear is if I dont put myself out there and get out of the house it will make my anxiety worse since I wont have a reason to leave the house.  I always did very well in school. I never missed a day and got all A's and B's.  This semester I am constantly showing up late. leaving early, or not going to class at all.  I have failed 2 exams and I really couldnt care less.  If I keep going with school I fear i will flunk out.  I cant push myself when I dont want to do something.  Also, I am going for elementary school teaching which in Michigan is the worst thing to go for.  Over half of everyone in every one of my classes is going for the same thing as I am and there are NO jobs in it.  I constantly feel like I am wasting my time and it is super frustrating.  I have school tomorrow and i am already a stressed mess over it.  I dont want to go.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: