Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Articles   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Als scare..  (Read 207 times)

Offline GoodTimesahead

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Als scare..
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »
Back in 07 I herniated two disks in my neck and my right arm lost about half it's strength. It came back in about 2 months and I've been good/ quite strong since. Well, three weeks ago I went to go lift a box and noticed my strength was gone in my right arm. A new MRI shows herniated C4/5/6 disks in my neck, which would explain my loss of strength. I also started feeling little twitches all over my body, even face, and made the mistake of googling that. ALS is the first thing that came up. Now the twitches combined with the loss of strength have me absolutely terrified of ALS. I've been to a chiro and emergency room doc who said neurologically I look ok, my legs are fine and I don't seem to be dropping things or clumsier than usual. My right arm feels so weak and it hasn't improved in 3 weeks. I just am really concerned having a four month old at home. Anybody relate or have a story that could help me out?
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Als scare..
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 06:02:21 PM »
I've been twitching in my calves for about 20 months.  From what I understand, ALS twitching happens during end stage of the disease, not at the beginning, when the nerves are actually dying and becoming not functional.

Also, while I didn't have herniation going on, I've had narrowing of the nerve paths, which caused all kinds of weirdness.  I take magnesium supplements and those seem to help the general twitching, however.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »
Twitches all over the body have nothing to do with ALS, and they are 100% anxiety.

You actually have a physical reason for your right arm weakness.

Stop Googling completely!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 06:30:25 PM »
Twitches all over the body have nothing to do with ALS, and they are 100% anxiety.

You actually have a physical reason for your right arm weakness.

Stop Googling completely!

Agree with everything Hypo says! You have an actual reason for your weakness!
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
Oh boy..the als scare! I went thru this for about 10 months straight. I had weakness from a neck injury and twitching all over my body.

I had an excellent neurologist who educated me alot on the disease and made me feel at ease. Let me just tell you first that "our" weakness and clinical weakness are two different things. A dr knows the difference. Don't go doing self tests that you read on the internet because you'll just make yourself more anxious about it. Weakness with als is not being able to tie your shoes, not being able to lift something that ways as much as a water bottle or coffee cup, or your foot would be dragging behind you.

as far as the twitching goes, its completely benign and anxiety if its widespread. With als it affects one body part at a time and occurs ONLY AFTER the affected limb/hand/foot has lost full function.

trust me you don't have als. I still twitch ALL OF THE TIME and just ignore it now that I know I'm ok
 if you need to pm me, feel free to, I went thru this for quite a long time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GoodTimesahead

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 08:39:22 PM »
Thank you all so much for the responses. I've always considered myself a pretty level headed guy, but fear of this illness has brought me to my knees. The thoughts that have been racing through my head are paralyzing me. I've been so nauseas I can't eat and I've lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. This is despite having an MRI that shows the herniations and having gone through this in 07 (although I don't remember the twitching or at least didn't google it). It's bizarre. The twitches are worse when I'm more anxious too. When the neuro doc at the emergency room tested me he thought all looked good but I can't get the fear out of my head. Thx again everyone for taking the time to respond, I've been putting my poor wife through hell these last 3 weeks with my constant emotions.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PrinceOfWorry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:18:15 AM »
I have herniated discs also. Herniated and other disc injuries cause the symptoms you describe. ALS does not behave in that manner. If your neuro test was clear, you are not suffering from motor neuron disease.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: