Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Itching at night  (Read 315 times)

Offline Jesse

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Itching at night
« on: February 24, 2014, 03:45:59 AM »
Lately I've been itchy at night.  Haven't changed detergent or done anything different.  Wife isn't itchy so don't suspect bedbugs, etc.

Google says Liver or kidney disease.  I know that Google goes for worst case scenario. 

Anyone else have this problem?

Jesse
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lost_Loki

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • Laugh it off
    • Poke This Member
Re: Itching at night
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 04:10:48 AM »
Are you in a winter climate currently, with dry air and use of the heater?  Have you been staying hydrated?  Do you have hard water in your home?  All of these things can contribute to dry skin.
Bookmark and Share
The amount of happiness you have is equal to the amount of freedom you have in your heart - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline kjoyce

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:49:16 PM »
I think I can give you some advice. 2 years ago I started feeling itchy at night. I'd be fine all day but then every evening I got really itchy skin all over, no rash. I googled and panicked. Convinced myself I had lymphoma. I went to the doctor and he did some tests, all came back normal except Bilirubin. Bilirubin is one of liver enzymes. It was slightly elevated and my doctor said that it's most likely Gilberts Syndrome. You can look it up online. It's not dengerous in any way and seemly doesn't cause any symptoms. Since then I get the itching every few months and then it goes away. I had 3 more blood tests since and Bilirubin always comes back slightly elevated. With all other enzymes normal and with no other symptoms (like jaundice, nausea, diahrrea, etc) doctors are not concerned.
Sadly I also developed some pain in liver area recently so I am super worried. Went to see my GP today in fact. Tests results next Monday...
I think you should get your liver enzymes checked because it could be Gilberts. It will give you a great peace of mind.

Bookmark and Share
If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

Offline Jesse

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:59:45 PM »
Yes, I'm presently in a dry winter climate, so dry skin could definitely be the culprit.

Also, I do have elevated bilirubin.  That could certainly play a role too.  I assume itching would accompany jaundice if it was my bilirubin.

How high was yours k?

Thx,
Jesse
Bookmark and Share

Offline kjoyce

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 04:10:55 AM »
Jesse, you would be jaundiced if your bilirubin was very high, if it's just mildly elevated (like mine) you normally don't get symptoms. Some people, however do get itchy (only or mostly at night) like us. Are your other liver enzymes normal?

My bilirubin was 1.74 ( normal 0.3 to 1.2).
Bookmark and Share
If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

Tags: