Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: high protein/low carb diet makes you more anxious/fasciculations?  (Read 294 times)

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
taking a poll... this is only for people that did a paleo diet or high protein diet... if you did, did you find that your anxiety greatly increased? Also, did you get fasciculations in your body? I am very curious because in studies of rats, yes, high protein affects GABA and induces a higher state of anxiety. I noticed many people on high protein low carb diets with strange new problems such as increased anxiety and benign fasciculation syndrome. Trying to tie it all together and would love to hear others' experiences...
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyQuacker75

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: high protein/low carb diet makes you more anxious/fasciculations?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »
If you are going to start a diet I recommend going in slow, any changes as significant as that can cause some odd stuff. I started a thing called intermittent fasting. If you don't know what that is it's basically you have time periods where you can't and can't eat, so you can eat for lets say 8 hours, and you fast the rest of the day, more effective than you can imagine. I was at a weight plateau but once I started this "IFing" as it's referred to sometime, I was dropping 5 lbs a week, I was excited! until my thumb started twitching and I felt anemic....  :sick0002:

Doing that diet got me where I am today being scared of every disease under the sun because i found out twitching is a sign of ALS, of course doctor ***** in my case doesn't tell you thats one of the last symptoms to come.

My suggestion is if you feel like it start a diet, but ease into it, I think I would be going strong with mine if I would of gone slowly because a lot of people do what i was doing and they are fine, you could  even consult your doctor to see what and if he thinks you even need a diet.

Also don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just trying to give you some advice from the experience I had.
Bookmark and Share
In the race against myself

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »
Yes I did Atkins for three months. What a nightmare. I got horrible gerd that led to terrible anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alexa884

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »
I did and still do low carb, cause its the only type of diet that ever seemed to work on me. Before having anxiety issues, it used to make me feel great actually. Like awesome mood, great energy levels.

Now, I didnt actually connect the diet with the anxiety, but I am on the diet now, and I have been having lots and lots of anxiety lately. So maybe. I should try to go off the diet and see what happens.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 01:37:43 AM »
If you are going to start a diet I recommend going in slow, any changes as significant as that can cause some odd stuff. I started a thing called intermittent fasting. If you don't know what that is it's basically you have time periods where you can't and can't eat, so you can eat for lets say 8 hours, and you fast the rest of the day, more effective than you can imagine. I was at a weight plateau but once I started this "IFing" as it's referred to sometime, I was dropping 5 lbs a week, I was excited! until my thumb started twitching and I felt anemic....  :sick0002:

Doing that diet got me where I am today being scared of every disease under the sun because i found out twitching is a sign of ALS, of course doctor 0278 in my case doesn't tell you thats one of the last symptoms to come.

My suggestion is if you feel like it start a diet, but ease into it, I think I would be going strong with mine if I would of gone slowly because a lot of people do what i was doing and they are fine, you could  even consult your doctor to see what and if he thinks you even need a diet.

Also don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just trying to give you some advice from the experience I had.

I noticed that after I fnished a Paleo type diet, I binged on pizza, donuts, cookies, chicken,chips all weekend and developed back pain, and yellow poops that smelt odd. I then believed I had PanCan then I ended up with prostsatitis 3weeks later. I notice before that I felt better than ever, now I've been a wreck for 7months with anxiety
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lost_Loki

• Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • Laugh it off
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:20:44 AM »
I found no difference in my anxiety between a low-carb diet and the horrible diet I had before.  Now, I eat closer to what one might call Paleo, and it's helped a lot, simply because it involves cutting out a lot of processed junk and focusing more on foods minimally processed.  I also do some IFing, but I always listen to my body first and foremost :happy0151:

Cutting out dairy and wheat also helped me a lot :).
Bookmark and Share
The amount of happiness you have is equal to the amount of freedom you have in your heart - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 05:49:03 AM »
thanks! I did the gluten free diet for a month. I was fine. Then i did gluten-free dairy free for a couple months. Still fine. THen i did paleo for a month. After one month's time, even though i looked GREAT... i mean I am 35 but looked like i was about 25, getting muscular... my anxiety all of a sudden (that i hadn't had in over 10 years) was through the roof. ANd i developed benign PVCs of the heart for one month... I would get them nonstop all day long about 6-10 per minute, then I developed BFS which i still have for about 10 months now.... fasciculations, in my face, around my mouth, my arms, other odd spots on my body... MRI ruled anything pathologic out so it;s just BFS. All my bloodwork is normal, so are vitamin levels, so it's not i wasn't getting enough vitamins or magnesium or anything. But i think the high amount of proteins messed up my neurotransmitters in my brain thus creating overactive nerve impulses (which is why i prob have fasciculations... the neurons are always firing off)... and probably this is also why i developed advanced sleep phase disorder (which is really rare in a 35 year old)... i think everything is from the high protein diet. What i call anxiety, is that i always have this feeling of impending doom, for no reason, and I just wish it would go away. I notice when i eat high carb, i feel good and don't feel anxious and i sleep better, but then i gain weight. When i eat all vegetables and meat I look better but then i get major anxiety, for no reason, and don't sleep good, and i twitch a lot. I hope my brain goes back to normal soon. BUt i think the paleo diet really messed up my entire body and i wish i knew what i know now before i started the paleo diet
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 05:54:21 AM »
i also wanted to add that for that first month paleo i felt the best i ever felt, but after a month, that feeling went away. I don't think it is safe to be paleo or high protein low carb for longer than 2-3 weeks at a time and I think there should be studies done on this. I am just saying this because i work in the medical field and all patients that are on these types also have the fasciculations, the anxiety, the chest pain/reflux... and sleep issues and i think it is from the diet
Bookmark and Share

Tags: