Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: anxiety and high protein low carb diet  (Read 260 times)

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anxiety and high protein low carb diet
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:41:06 PM »
taking a poll... this is only for people that did a paleo diet or high protein diet... if you did, did you find that your anxiety greatly increased? Also, did you get fasciculations in your body? I am very curious because in studies of rats, yes, high protein affects GABA and induces a higher state of anxiety. I noticed many people on high protein low carb diets with strange new problems such as increased anxiety and benign fasciculation syndrome. Trying to tie it all together and would love to hear others' experiences...
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: anxiety and high protein low carb diet
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 06:09:46 AM »
I have done a lot of research as to why do fasciculations and other strange phenomena happen to people that exercise and eat clean, and i found something out... if you eat a diet high in fat (doesn't matter if it is mono or poly or trans fat or sat fat) and low in carbs, as in fat intake is more than 1/3 of total intake and carb intake is 1/3 or less, then your blood ph becomes too acidic, and you experience fasciculations, cramping, twitching, anxiety, confusion, irritability, trouble sleeping, connective tissue pain, pvcs in the heart. That type diet, particularly paleo or dukan, can induce metabolic acidosis. All those symptoms happened to me and they were horrible and here i am 17 months later still recovering, but doing well, nowhere like how i was. I was so bad when i first flared up i had pvcs in my heart for 6 weeks given atenolol, blepharospasm for 8 weeks and was offered botox, reflex- tapping my forehead would make the one whole side of my face spasm multiple times, acne on my back and shoulders which i never had before, confusion and not feeling like myself, this feeling like i was going to explode, chronic chest tightness, body wide fascics in places even that you didn't know you could even twitch. It looked like rippling, i guess that;s myokymia. Bad bilateral outer hip pain and chest pains. I saw neurologist only once, EMG and MRI brain were normal, hyperreflexia on exam, so i was diagnosed with postinfectious BFS. That's the other thing, i had a few bad illnesses all at once and fasics follow infection in  a lot of people, but i still think it was my diet/lifestyle that predisposed me to developing it. I was doing a practically paleo diet for a year. For the first 6 months or so i felt awesome, looked great, then started experiencing weird sensations, then i got sick, then the fasics start along with other weird stuff... i didn't start to get better until i stopped that diet. Now, i have to eat a more carb lowfat diet, because every time i try to eat "clean" again i start having problems again. This is just my opinion. But i don't think i am wrong because i have talked to about a hundred people and it seems very common amongst athletic people.
That's the other thing, some research indicates that people that lift weights, train for marathons, etc... get the twitching first when workout is complete due to normal occurrence of circulating lactic acid but more common is the free radicals getting burnt off so fast that the antioxidants cant keep up it appears and fasiculation occurs. Of course, also dehydration and electrolyte imbalance can cause it as well.
Anyways, I think i was going in to a state of metabolic acidosis and i am still recovering. I was also tested for lymes, b12 def, magnesium, calcium, CBC, CMP, creatinine kinase, acetylcholine, thyroid, ANA, lupus, sjogren's, rheumatoid factor, and some other stuff, and everything normal, no deficiencies, no anemia.
I think paleo and dukan diets are dangerous. I wish i knew what i know now because it looks like a lot of people are developing BFS from these diets or kidney and heart disease. Protein puts a strain on the kidneys, and if you are eating meat than you are eating saturated fat, not good for heart, and very acidic. When you begin to burn fat faster than normal due to the diet, sure you look good and gain muscle, but you get into a state of acidosis, and that is dangerous.
My doc said that diet is dangerous, a lot of medical personnel are in kind of a disagreement over it.
Personally, i think it is fine if you do it not longer than 2 weeks. Anything more, you may get acidosis
My daily diet consisted of:
2 hard boiled eggs, 3 oz carrots, 2 cups spinach, 1 head boiled broccoli, 1 sweet potato, 1 banana, 4 oz strawberries, 3.5 oz wild salmon, 8 oz almond milk, 6 0z pork chop or chicken with no skin and fat cut off, a handful of almonds or pumpkin seeds, quinoa, 1 cup oatmeal with flaxseed, extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar on the spinach, 6 tiny mozzarella balls, ghee, 1/2 avocado. That was basically how i eat for a year. I didn't have bread or pasta for a full year. As you can see, that is high fat. It was not safe. I needed to have more carbs mixed in and cut back on the meat (eggs, salmon, chicken/pork intake too high).
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 07:42:31 AM »
Not to foo foo anyone's ideas but I'm not sure I can buy all that.  While I agree that going into ketoacidosis isn't a healthy thing ie Atkins... Paleo shouldn't throw you into acidosis.  And even if there were minor metabolic acidosis changes, your body would compensate with hyperventilation blowing off carbon dioxide.  120g of carbs are more than enough.

Personally, I suspect it was either a coincidence that whatever happened to you just happened right around the time you got sick with a virus OR you hit it hard with diet and exercise, possibly had much anxiety and your body went into a significant state of catabolism.  That may have predisposed you to getting ill.

I twitch, and have done Paleo since I started twitching...lost quite a bit of belly fat.  I seen no noticeable increase in my twitching or cramping.  In fact, I feel better.  The twitching isn't less but the mental fog and mental fog is better.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »
Don't know much about the research, but it's been said that carbs raise serotonin levels thus can be calming.  I once baked a batch of oatmeal cookies one evening, eating quite a few as I baked them.  I found that I slept like a baby that night----more restful than I had in a while.  I believe it was the carbs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:06:55 AM »
Don't know much about the research, but it's been said that carbs raise serotonin levels thus can be calming.  I once baked a batch of oatmeal cookies one evening, eating quite a few as I baked them.  I found that I slept like a baby that night----more restful than I had in a while.  I believe it was the carbs.

But spikes in blood sugar, cause a spike in insulin which promotes fat deposition.  Fat increases cortisol levels...which is not good for depression or anxiety.  If we want to feel better instead of eating carbs we should exercise.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »
Oh, my comment was just an observation....I rarely eat cookies, but that instance that I did I noticed such a calmness within me---I would have to assume it was the carbs (or oats----which are carbs.)

I don't promote eating carbs, but I do think everything in moderation is ok.....and just to let loose once in a while by eating freshly baked cookies is fun, that in itself can be relaxing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 12:32:20 PM »
Carbs are not evil but we should eat foods lower on glycemic load.  For instance there is much fructose in an apple but the glycemic load is much less than a Snickers due to the fiber.  So, apples are good for you...consider them good carbs as you said in moderation. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:59:53 AM »
Yes these are just just a hypothesis, there has been proven research behind this, but still, there is no definitive way to factor in other coincidences. Like for me, I blame the diet because i started experiencing weird stuff before the twitching started, then i got sick, then the twitching started, and whenever i try to go back to that diet i get really bad but i feel so much better when i just eat low fat normal protein more carb type diet. I originally started that diet becuase of my small bowel bowel biopsy suggestive that i have celiac disease (but i don't have celiac disease), anyways... that is what started me on that diet. So as of now, i don't have very many fasiculations, feel better mentally, but still, have a lot of muscular/tendon/connective tissue pain and can't do physical stuff like how i used to unless i want severe pain (i used to do 100 pushups daily along with lifting weights for 30 minutes every day). I have chronic outer hip pain in both hips. My guess is it is a muscle strain injury, ive had it over a year now. Probably greater trochanteric pain syndrome. I also have chronic chest pain, the doc says classic costochondritis, ive had that over a year. I used to get a lot of twitching in my back and chest but i don't get that any more. Now, on my lunch break i walk 20 minutes every day, and my hips twitch real bad for like 10 minutes when im done. I never used to have that problem after exercise (and it's just walking not power walking). I know that happens from circulating lactic acid levels. I get a lot of pain inbetween my ribs, like cartilage pain, like a burning pain like it is ripping, and usually the same time the throbbing pain occurs inbetween the lower ribs i will simultaneously get a throbbing pain like a burning stabbing pain in my shoulder. I use a lot of ice packs. The tops of my hands had a pain and was getting a little swollen the other day, i put ice on it at work, now it's all better, i guess tendonitis. I usually wake up with pain every day/stiffness but im fine once i walk it off. I know im getting older, im 36, but i have more pain than other people my age. I have a hard time going from sitting to standing and limp when i first get up. Then im ok. Or if i bend down i pull myself up. I kind of want to go to a rheumatologist, they would prob say fibromyalgia. But then im like whats the point. My ANA and Rheumatoid factor are negative. My sister has a connective tissue disorder and that is also in the differential of my small bowel biopsy but i have negative bloodwork, so i don't see how i could have an autoimmune disorder without a positive ANA. The anxiety i get is from the frustration i have of not wanting to go to the doctor because i feel the minute you complain about something they automatically want to prescribe anxiety medication which is bull. I don't think docs dive deep enough or think outside of the box these days. I feel i do have something physically going on but i just have to suck it up
Bookmark and Share

Tags: