Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety about an enlarged lymph node  (Read 589 times)

Offline Worrywall

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety about an enlarged lymph node
« on: February 23, 2014, 06:55:58 PM »
Hi Everyone, 

I'm a newbie to this group but find much comfort in the posts of others. Here is why I joined. I normally do not have health anxiety, unless I have a real symptom. About two weeks ago I got massage and the therapist mentioned a lump on my neck. I didn't think anything of it at the time since I have always had shoulder and neck pain. I assumed it was a knot. So I forgot about it. A week later I unknowingly touched my neck and found the lump. It most certainly did not feel like a knot.
Of course it was a Sunday and Monday was a holiday so I couldn't call the doctor until Tuesday. Of course my anxiety was sky high. I was convinced I had a growth, but was able to keep it together. My GP was unable to see me that week, so I went to a walk in clinic on Tuesday. Without any examination accept touching my neck the doctor says it's a lymph node and that I've probably always had it. Because I constantly massage my neck I know that I definitely have not had it. He didn't seem too concerned but when I said I have not been sick recently he decided to prescribe and ultra sound (for piece of mind). Well it had the exact opposite effect. I went two days later, anxious but fully expecting them to tell me it was nothing. Well, results came back the same day and a biopsy was recommended. They did not tell me why, just that it was recommended and gave some names of an ENT. So of course now I have decided that I have lymphoma. I made an appointment with the ENT for Tuesday but have not been able to make it through the weekend. I have been crying and googling all day. Since a hallmark of lymphoma is a painless node in the neck, it has to be lymphoma. I have managed to stop touching it.
Has anyone else experienced this? I'm scared out of my mind and have already started making plans fornthe diagnosis.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety about an enlarged lymph node
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:14:54 PM »
They'll usually biopsy any lump in your neck that's been there for over 3 weeks and is over 2 cm... that does NOT mean it's cancer. It just means that they're being careful. The vast majority of swollen lymph nodes are due to infection and this has been a particularly infection-filled season and winter.

But you're smart and you're getting it checked out as quickly as possible. And since you have no other symptoms (don't start inventing them!), even if it is related to something you're worried about, you would have caught it very quickly, at a treatable stage. 

(A doctor friend of mine told me he'd caught a few cases of lymphoma at an early stage and they all did great.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 08:18:09 PM »
I would not worry. My major fear is lymphoma but I have the other symptoms of it! Itching and sweating a fair amount at night. Have been for 4 months. I'm going back to my GP tomorrow to address these symptoms again was I'm connived I'm dying. Doesn't help I just found out I'm preg. Makes my anxiety go sky high thinking of all that could happen bad. I'm 23, and in the last 6 months I've had a full CBC with differential, thyroid test (fairly high but not enough to cause them to look into it anymore.) stool samples, celiac test, 4 pelvic ultrasound during my ovarian cancer worry about 4 months ago, a full abdominal ultrasound when I had weird pain I my,liver areas , and a chest X-ray. All normal so far but I expect that to change soon. All you have is a swollen node. They are super common... Even whe your body is fighting off a cold and you don't get the symptoms of the cold, a node swells.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:55:05 PM »
the doctors like to play it safe. I am guessing its a needle biopsy since you are seeing an ENT for it.  If they had any serious suspisions they would act very quicky and tha node would be removed asap.  There doesnt seem to be such a rush in your case.  When are you having the biopsy done?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrywall

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »
Thank you so much everyone! Your posts really do help me feel better.  Deep down I'm sure that everything is fine, but as you know the anxiety takes over and my OCD makes it so much worse.  Making a plan tends to reduce my anxiety, so I already have doctors scoped out, nutritionist, put my trainer on alert that I'll want more sessions to keep my strength up, found a wig shop.  Oh yeah...It was a pretty "fruitful" weekend. Oh I also convinced myself that even if it is lymphoma, which is treatable, I'm not going to survive because I'll have some rare form. So now I'll need a lawyer to draft up a will and I'll have to start giving away my stuff.   Thank god that I have an even keeled, supportive boyfriend who just takes this in stride.  He actually wants to give my anxiety a name to make it easier to refer to when I start spiraling. Making fun of myself I find eases the anxiety also! Feeling better about tomorrow's biopsy! Thank you everyone!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrywall

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
Ohh I did a bad thing and read the ultra sound report  :angry-smiley-034:.  Says that my lymph node is lacking fatty hilum and an infiltrative process may be present.  Sooooo freaking out again since I know that it can indicate cancer.   Sigh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tymommy

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 02:38:14 AM »
I have had this,mine was on my jaw. Same results. But was not cancer.mine was an old node just never went down.massaging actually can piss off nodes and make them swell.mine was also painless. Its still there,it freaks me out sometimes so I'll check with the doctor every so often. I hate lymphnodes lol they are always a fixation for us anxious folks
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrywall

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 03:00:36 PM »
Good news! Biopsy came back completely normal.  Pathologist said there is no need for further tests. The ENT felt that there was something inconclusive about the ultra sound, which was worrisome, but the biopsy is the key. Going back in three months for an ultra sound in their office and a follow up.  ENT felt that it is normal for young people (I'm 33) to have larger lymph nodes and not to worry! WOOHOO! Feel so much better

Bookmark and Share

Offline hamsterswheel

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »
Amazing news!!!! I'm delighted for you!

Yay! Just shows we are not the experts and reading on internet etc gets us nowhere!

So pleased x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrywall

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 04:37:44 PM »
Agreed!!!!!!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 04:48:45 PM »
That's great news!  If you're like me, your lymph node will shrink during this period of calm.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 05:54:59 PM »
Hooray this is great!  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »
Great news! And if you are like me the node will stay the same and you will learn to except it as a normal part of tour body...that can happen to:) sometime when I am worrying about the little things I feel my lymphnode and it reminds me of how good my life is and how the little things are not important at all:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stacey1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 08:12:50 PM »
Hi!! I just recently went through this except in my groin.  I found the lump went to dr the next day then ultrasound and had an appt with the surgeon 2 days later.  I was absolutely petrified and the fear consumed me.  I had it surgically removed and waited 2 weeks for the results. All came back negative...I hope you have the same luck!! Just wanted to share that there are happy endings!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: