Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 154 times)

Offline math989

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this normal?
« on: February 23, 2014, 12:02:47 PM »
Hello everyone,
I believe that my fear of developing paranoid schizophernia is going out of hand. Let me tell you guys the symptoms that I have been experiencing.
I haven't showered or brushed my teeth in two days which alarms me.

I don't think have any auditory hallucinations but I constantly look out for them.

No delusions of any kind.

Now this is where things start going down hill. I have experienced some degree of self proclaimed visual hallucinations such as seeing someone walking in peripheral vision (I see a black stick but my brain will associate that with a person) thinking I saw person from far away when it was only a tree, and this probably he most weird one but I have started to see faces in things.

Some of the faces that kind saw are explain able but the one that I recently had sent my mind into a anxious spree. I was anxious about my hygiene and then as I turned back to watch a video, I think I saw a face on one of my mirrors.  This happens for like a split second so I couldn't confirm of whether it was one or not. But that left me anxious about developing hallucinations for a good 5 or so minutes, after after that I began to calm down.  I believe that this paranoia with faces started when I saw a schizophernia documentary about how this woman's schizophernia started when she started to faces in windows and what not.

So what do you guys think? I'm pretty worried about my mental health right now because I have so much I that I want to do and I feel that having schizophernia would just ruin it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »
Then I guess I have it too - I drive a school bus and see a mailbox or garbage can in front of someone's house and I think it's a kid waiting for the bus!

Seeing faces in things is a very human response, our brains are hardwired to see "faces"   (I can't go into the scientific explanation because it would be too long of a post) - I used to sing and play guitar while sitting on the bathtub (good acoustics!) and we had a tub surround with all swirls in it.  As I'd sing I'd be looking at the swirls and I'd start making out faces, one was an "evil" one that would freak me out and I'd have to look at another spot!  LOL!   But it's normal, don't be concerned with that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemmaa0207

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 02:03:50 PM »
See a doctor and discuss your fears. What you described I can experience but it's natural especially if you feel under threat eg at night... More times I can remember thinking there was a person but really just a tree in the distance that's not you going mad it's visualising something in your kind before you actually see it. Faces in things that happens too more often if I'm tired and been watching tv etc... Don't worry yourself x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 06:29:56 PM »
Oh, there is an actual WORD for that phenomenon of seeing faces in things - "pareidolia"
Bookmark and Share

Tags: