Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Throat Cancer Fear :(  (Read 243 times)

Offline Jaybuck151

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Throat Cancer Fear :(
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »
Hello, I'm a 20 year old male. I've had a hoarse voice and pain in my neck for 4 months now. When I talk it is uncomfortable and tight behind my Adam's apple. I am a vocalist so it's very unfortunate for my career. It's been holding me back.
Anyways, I got a videostrobe at an ENT clinic and they said it was LPR silent acid reflux I've been on acid meds for 2 months now. At times I feel like t was getting better, but it's not. I feel like there's a lump on the left side of my throat when I swallow and talk. And I have a lump inside my neck I can feel under my jaw area. I fear that there is actually a lump there and it's cancer. They didn't seem to be concerned about that no matter how many times I complain about it. Do you think it could be cancer?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 28
    • Poke This Member
Re: Throat Cancer Fear :(
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 01:16:08 AM »
I have LPR and I had the exact same symptoms (even the lump under the jaw). It took 6 months on a low-acid diet + 40 mg of omeprazole (20 mg 2x per day) + vocal therapy to heal. Adequate hydration, regular exercise and limiting alcohol help, too.

As a fellow LPRer on here told me, throat damage takes at least 5 months to heal, so you just have to follow their instructions and give it time. And don't worry - not only are you very young for throat cancer, you also had the test that would help to diagnose it. You just have LPR.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jaybuck151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 05:39:58 PM »
Thank you for your reply. It's good to know someone experienced the same thing and was fine.
The thing is, I've been getting a cold over and over again since this started. The lpr pain feels different than the sore throat I feel from the cold. My throat will get really ichy feeling and then I'll have a coughing cold for days and it goes away then starts over again a few days later. I have swelling on the right side of my neck too, on the thyroid. This is kinda freaking me out
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 28
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 06:40:45 PM »
Did your doc feel the lump in your neck?  Sometimes I've thought I've felt a lump that wasn't actually there... it was just me being a little overly sensitive. (1 cm = 1 inch to someone with HA.)

As for the cold, it may not be a cold. Before I was treated for LPR, I thought I got colds all the time, too. It turned out my sore throats that occasionally seemed to progress to a light cold were from LPR, post-nasal drip and (maybe) allergies.

LPR can cause post-nasal drip and ear problems. Basically the acid comes up and irritates your nasal and sinus passages, resulting in a whole lotta mucus. The mucus from your sinuses drips down and further irritates your throat. If it's allergy season, the cycle will speed up. After treatment for the LPR (and Mupirocin, a nasal antibiotic I forgot to mention), my post-nasal drip completely stopped and my "allergies" and "colds" got better.

In fact, I used to think I was always the first one to catch a cold. But I recently traveled on four planes in winter to and from places that were FULL of cold-ridden people who were literally serving me food they'd made while wiping their noses and I didn't get sick.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Jaybuck151

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
Was the medication your on a PPI? I'm taking pantropazol right now plus the low acid diet. I haven't started voice theapy yet because of problems with my referrals. But today my throat is really bad I can barely swallow plus I have the chills and I had a low grade fever earlier which makes me think I have a cold. This is definitely the worst of my "colds" since the lpr, so it may actually be one.
How would you describe the hoarsness in your voice?

I got an ultrasound on my neck before I was diagnosed with LPR and the only found the swollen lypmh node under the left jaw like I mentioned. But the lump on the right appeard a week after the ultra sound . It's not really a lump, it feels like it's a flat, quarter sized swelling that I can move around slightly that hurts at times.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: