Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of Eating and Drinking around Strangers  (Read 280 times)

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of Eating and Drinking around Strangers
« on: February 22, 2014, 07:25:31 PM »
Does anyone else have a fear of eating and drinking around strangers or people that might judge you, like a date, or a boss, or....
Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of Eating and Drinking around Strangers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 05:58:40 AM »
I eat by myself. Simple fact. I wouldn't eat around anybody else. Not even my own mother. Just feel more relaxed when alone and eating. I would rather starve than eat with a group of people. Last time I had to eat with others I was in hospital. Took a lot of getting used to. Because I was so used to my own ways. Trust me there are a lot of other people out there the exact same way.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline MoonQuest25

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
Me too. I'm self-aware in public, so the thought of eating with a group of people is unsettling to me. Just a few weeks ago I ate out with family though. It was my birthday and my more outgoing sister insisted I celebrate it. We ended up eating at a very popular, crowded restaurant. My hand would shake a little every time I picked up a forkful of food. I felt like everyone was staring at me; I was stiff and uncomfortable, with robotic movements, very unnatural, couldn't relax. When a waiter would walk by (this happened every few mins), I'd get extra nervous. Sometimes I'd try to feign nonchalance, but really I was a nervous wreck. I just don't like social situations. The worst part was when my brother surprised me with servers clapping and singing happy birthday to me as I had to blow out the candle. I was mortified because I specifically told him I would only go out to eat if there was no surprise celebration. I still appreciate it, but at the time I did NOT enjoy it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline rubywoo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:41:44 PM »
This is exactly my anxiety, though its not around strangers but just anybody.

I get so anxious that I won't be able to eat anything (due to being anxious) and my anxious symptoms make me feel so unwell, plus panic attacks on top. It affects me everyday, I've tried hypnotherapy, CBT etc but nothing has helped.
Bookmark and Share

Offline laughingsneakers

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 07:11:01 PM »
Mine isn't strictly eating, but it has occurred before when I haven't eaten from fear of judgement. Most of my anxiety is in relation to thinking I'm being judged, it can stop me doing a lot of things. It's horrible and I simply do not know how to get over it, simply coping. Try going over what you are actually thinking and talk sense into yourself to help with coping. For example, I've been afraid to speak before in case I say something I think is funny and no one else thinks it's funny and judges me for it, so I go over again and again in my head that I can be a funny person when I want and if they didn't find what I said funny then it really is okay, and not something to be ashamed of etc etc, so you could maybe try something similar but in relation to you eating?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: