Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of Eating and Drinking around Strangers  (Read 160 times)

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of Eating and Drinking around Strangers
« on: February 22, 2014, 07:25:31 PM »
Does anyone else have a fear of eating and drinking around strangers or people that might judge you, like a date, or a boss, or....
Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of Eating and Drinking around Strangers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 05:58:40 AM »
I eat by myself. Simple fact. I wouldn't eat around anybody else. Not even my own mother. Just feel more relaxed when alone and eating. I would rather starve than eat with a group of people. Last time I had to eat with others I was in hospital. Took a lot of getting used to. Because I was so used to my own ways. Trust me there are a lot of other people out there the exact same way.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline MoonQuest25

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of Eating and Drinking around Strangers
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
Me too. I'm self-aware in public, so the thought of eating with a group of people is unsettling to me. Just a few weeks ago I ate out with family though. It was my birthday and my more outgoing sister insisted I celebrate it. We ended up eating at a very popular, crowded restaurant. My hand would shake a little every time I picked up a forkful of food. I felt like everyone was staring at me; I was stiff and uncomfortable, with robotic movements, very unnatural, couldn't relax. When a waiter would walk by (this happened every few mins), I'd get extra nervous. Sometimes I'd try to feign nonchalance, but really I was a nervous wreck. I just don't like social situations. The worst part was when my brother surprised me with servers clapping and singing happy birthday to me as I had to blow out the candle. I was mortified because I specifically told him I would only go out to eat if there was no surprise celebration. I still appreciate it, but at the time I did NOT enjoy it. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: