Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: i don't know what to think of this  (Read 216 times)

Offline gulierss

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
i don't know what to think of this
« on: February 21, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
I don't exactly know how to begin explaining this 'issue' but i'll try to give some background to see if it helps make sense of anything. I was in a really bad and unhealthy relationship when i was 15 for about a year and he was the first guy that i had literally opened up to about every single thing and we were young and dumb and he took advantage of it. we were horrible to each other and he would do things like force me to have sex or else he would threaten to give me the silent treatment etc. at one point my own cousins were even turned against me along with a couple of my own friends. i'm still unsure if he's the cause behind all of these relationship difficulties or if it has to do with the way i was brought up as well. i've never been close with my dad and he suffers from ADHD along with probably a bunch of other anxiety issues as well. we used to fight A LOT when i was a child (thankfully its mellowed out now that i'm 24) and a lot of my memories are of him yelling at me for the dumbest things. he definitely has control issues and i would get in trouble for things that anyone else would consider just a normal part of growing up.

i've had two relationships since that one when i was 15 and both ended in their own awkward way. one of them i jumped head first into and i found out later on we just weren't right for each other and the second was with a close friend for about 6 months off and on (this guy was almost exactly like a clone of my dad too, thank god i got out of there). currently i've been seeing a new guy for a few months (only 1 month officially) and it's been bringing up A LOT of issues.

A lot of the time i feel as if i'm not even there, that i've sunk into the back of my head with all the worries and insecurities telling me all of the thing that are wrong and how it won't last and how i shouldn't be with him. he's extremely supportive, caring, and thoughtful. he's almost 4 years younger than me and that just in itself makes me question whether this will work out or not. it's like i have to really really fight with myself to remain present and there have only been a few moments where i've felt completely lucid in the moment with him and i've been so happy in those few times but then it all just goes back into a vicious cycle of self doubt and wanting to run away from all of this. in the very beginning of all this i used to feel almost nauseous and sick to my stomach with the thought of being in a relationship. i couldn't even hear my mom bring up the word boyfriend or tell her about the cute things he does without feeling like i was going to gag. that weird feeling stopped for a while (probably because i slipped back into the hell hole that is my mind). a couple nights ago i started researching CBT since i saw someone on here mention it and one part of it said to focus all of your energy into what you are doing at that moment and so i was looking through pictures of instagram and there was one of my boyfriend on a camping trip he's on right now and that gagging feeling came back in full force to the point where i felt like i was going to throw up on my laptop. I can even feel it now while i'm typing this. i have no idea why this has been happening so i figured i'd ask to see if anyone knows what this is or how to deal with it.

(ps. i also have a really hard time accepting the bf/gf labels. it's easier to say he's NOT my boyfriend)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: i don't know what to think of this
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:45:25 AM »
One thing really stands out. Your old boyfriends were idiots and uncaring. This latest bloke is caring and kind. Maybe that is what you are finding hard to accept. If you have been with a certain type of person in the past and you know only bad relationships, then a good one comes along, it can be hard to adjust to it. Accept that it is really happening. You do question things. Your mind might tell you that this can't be right. This is not how relationships are as a rule. This is not how males act. We can add your father in here too. Up to now your experience of males has been bad. If we are to be honest. Now you have a caring and kind male come into your life. Stops you in your track. Why? Because it is not what you had in the past. It is not what you are used to. But you have to try and accept it if you want it to last. It is real. He does care for you. He is there for you. He is not like the past males. I think somewhere deep within your mind you half expect him to turn out like the others you have known. It is like you are waiting for this to happen. But it is not happening. So you are a bit lost to be with a male who is unlike those others in the past. Explain your past to him. It will be like sharing your life with him. It will bring you even closer together. But accept there are some good apples out there too. Not all of them have to be bad.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Jumbelly

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:57:14 AM »
I agree--give this a try. You are young, every moment with this new person is obviously an opportunity to understand yourself better if nothing else.  Just relax, let go, and experience it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gulierss

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:27:56 PM »
thanks for the replies :) what you said is BEYOND accurate. and i've been telling him about my past and all these things and he's been extremely supportive and even when i don't really continue things into detail he asks to hear more about it. ALL OF HIS SUPPORT IS SO FOREIGN TO ME haha. and i completely agree about this part-

"I think somewhere deep within your mind you half expect him to turn out like the others you have known. It is like you are waiting for this to happen. But it is not happening. So you are a bit lost to be with a male who is unlike those others in the past."

so so so so so so so true. i am however starting to notice some new problems when we mess around. i'm able to be in the moment for most of it but once things get more intense it's like something kicks me out of the mood and then i'm just not into it anymore and i know that's most likely a defense mechanism considering what i went through in the past, and that's going to be one hell of an issue to tackle, but i have no idea where to begin with it.
Bookmark and Share

anything