Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Could it be TMJ at a young age?  (Read 236 times)

Offline playmaker093

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Could it be TMJ at a young age?
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »
My dentist, who was completely unaware of my HA said I grinded my teeth and gave me a mouthguard to wear when sleeping around six months ago.  It may have helped a little bit but I still had headaches, but I recently lost this mouthguard and the headaches have been way worse this week.  By the end of the day the back of my head and temples are sore and have intense pressure, as well as my upper neck.  Could it be TMJ/TMD at age 18 and if it is what can I do to relieve it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Could it be TMJ at a young age?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:51:46 PM »
I have TMJ as a result of a car accident that happened to me about 15 years ago.  I'm supposed to wear a night guard when I sleep but never have.  I also have had a dentist tell me that I grind my teeth at night.

With that said, what you described with the soreness in your temples and neck could very easily be from grinding your teeth.  I read somewhere that when people grind their teeth the pressure that they bite down with can be very intense. 

I know that I wake up probably four days out of the week with some sort of headache and I CONSTANTLY have different pains in my jaws along with clicking.

I don't think there is any particular age to be diagnosed with TMJ.  You very well could have that.  Next time maybe mention it to your dentist and get his/her opinion.  I think, though, that from what you described, it's all related to the grinding of your teeth, especially since the headaches have gotten worse since you've lost the night guard. 

Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »
It can ABSOLUTELY be TMJ at "a young age". My coworker's daughter was 15/16 when she woke up one morning unable to open her mouth. TMJ was the diagnosis. I would say go back and get another mouth guard. Have you been overly stressed this past week? Stress can definitely cause headaches - especially tension headaches that hurt in your neck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:49 PM »
A friend of mine her daughter has TMJ and she is 8.
So yes it could be TMJ.
I have severe TMJ and it hurts like the dickens sometimes.
You can have your dentist make another appliance or you can go to the drug store and she what they have in the way of dental appliances.
Also try and keep tongue on roof of mouth. During the day be aware of not clenching teeth.
Try not to eat food for a while that is hard (apples and crunchy items).
Ibuprofen and magnesium help me.
Try and relax for a few minutes when you are aware of it. Posture is key too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:35:01 PM »
Msgb98 mentioned some good suggestions.  I had forgotten about watching the different foods you eat.  Try not to eat anything really chewy or crunchy and also be careful on how wide you open your mouth.  Sometimes biting into a large sandwich can throw your whole jaw off into a frenzy.  Chewing gum is bad, too.

I also find that if I'm laying down watching television and prop my jaw/head on my arm, it can cause jaw pains for days later.

Sometimes taking your fingers and just lightly massaging the hinge of your jaw on both sides helps, too. 

I hope you get some relief.  I also agree that you should look into getting another mouth guard.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Tags: