Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: freaking out about oral thrush  (Read 410 times)

Offline dontfeellikemyself

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
freaking out about oral thrush
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm in quite a panic today. A few days ago I came down with what I suspect to be tonsillitis or strep throat (I have not gone to the doc yet but I highly suspect one of the two conditions, going off of pretty telltale symptoms). Today is day 3 and while my throat is starting to feel better, my tongue has become numb and my sense of taste is wacky. My tongue feels as if it has been burned--that kind of feeling.

I look in the mirror this afternoon and my tongue is coated with thick patches of white. I am freaking out that this is oral thrush and that this points to HIV infection.....I had an unprotected exposure around 2 years ago that has been the biggest source of my health anxiety. I read that oral thrush is one of the main indicators of an HIV infection.

If anyone could just give me some reassurance that this is NOT oral thrush, and maybe just associated with my recent illness, I would feel worlds better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_ter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: freaking out about oral thrush
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:16:32 PM »
Its probably just that you are slightly dehydrated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »
It's common for the tongue to get white patches. Oral thrush is ORAL thrush - not just tongue thrush. Are you finding patches of white on the inside of your cheek? On your gums? Roof of mouth? The fungus wouldn't just stay in one spot.

Additionally, have you had testing since this exposure? You said it was 2 years ago which is an awful long time to be concerned about an exposure considering you can get an accurate test result between 4 weeks and 3 months! If you did, and it was negative, then you don't have HIV. Plain and simple.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline NicoleR

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:19:56 PM »
Let me just clear up one of the biggest misconceptions about thrush - stop linking it with HIV!!!
The number one reason world wide a person would develop thrush is by antibiotics throwing off the natural flora of your mouth. Yes, HIV positive ppl are susceptible to thrush, but that's something that occurs when your T cells are below 200. I totally understand where your coming from cause I couldn't be reassured enough after I developed thrush (from antibiotics) I became obsessed with looking in my mouth, it seriously took up my day/life.
What exactly does your tongue look like? Where is the thrush? Can u scrape it off with toothbrush? Were you taking antibiotics for your throat?  You'd actually be surprised how much white stuff ppl have in the back of their tongues but it's just you (or anyone) rarely looks back there. Hope I could calm your nerves a bit
Bookmark and Share

Offline dontfeellikemyself

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 03:47:10 PM »
Hi Nicole,

Thank you for the post. I haven't been on any antibiotics recently, but I just had some sort of viral infection with a very sore throat. The white patchiness is gone, but now my mouth/tongue feels incredibly numb and sore, almost as if they are burning. This makes eating quite painful. Also, the corners of my mouth have cracked quite severely--I think this is angular cheilitis, which of course, is something ELSE that is linked to HIV/immunity issues. Some days I wonder if I'm ever going to have some sort of relief from anxiety, or if my body will ever stop cropping up with all these symptoms. :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: