Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: colon cancer/colonscopy scare UPDATE  (Read 400 times)

Offline hezzera

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
colon cancer/colonscopy scare UPDATE
« on: February 20, 2014, 02:29:18 PM »
Hey everyone. I just thought I'd throw my story regarding my colon cancer/colonscopy fears in here in hopes that I can ease someone's anxiety regarding the topic.
July of last year is when I noticed blood on my tp when I wiped. This was the first time I had EVER seen blood in my stool EVER (I'm 31). It came the day after I had tried an organic smooth move laxative tea (I was preparing to do the Master Cleanse diet). I also had a little soft stool with it and a light pain on the left side of my stomach...
I called my mom freaking out because I of course jumped to the worst conclusion....cancer. She said it was probably just hemmerhoids and not to worry about it. Yeah right....me not worry about it....
Either way, I tried to let it go and see what happened. Hoping it was just a weird reaction from the tea...
Ever since then I've had blood occasionally when I wipe. Maybe a teeny bit on the stool and some on the tp. By occasionally I mean, once every month and a half? Maybe about five times since then.
I've recently went through a bout of constipation that lasted a good month and a half of solid rabbity stools or nothing at all for days. When that finally cleared up...I started getting diarrhea and bad cramping on top of it....
On top of all this I was losing weight like crazy. Grant it I'm trying to eat better....but it was like...10 lbs in a WEEK.
When I had the last run of diarrhea. ..The pain in my left side would intensify while going and actually lingered after I was done...
I decided to eat some darn BEETS during all of this because I tossed one in my smoothie and my stool even an hour later was really dark with an ominous cloud of red swirling around it....this scared the crap out of me. I know beets can color your stool...but an hour after I ate it??? That had to be way too soon....it was like that for the next couple days with the pain in my left side lingering still...
So obviously all this set me over the edge...I had black stools with DARK blood..left side pain...I was dizzy and light headed and always super tired (which I assumed I must be anemic)...I thought FOR SURE this was colon cancer.
My grandma died from colon cancer at 82. I've always dealt with constipation/ibs issues growing up...I've eaten really bad most of my adult life and I don't exercise. I thought there is no WAY I could not have it. Every Google search of my symptoms led directly to cancer no matter how I worded it....
SO. I decided to make my round of Dr appts to get the diagnosis already...
I first went to my GP who did a blood workup. Turns out my red blood cell count was more than fine (ruling out anemia) and my white blood cells weren't elevated at all.
Off to the gastro I went to get a colonoscopy.  I was lucky to get one scheduled the same week..I don't think I could've waited any longer. I had it this morning actually. I got an endo and a colonscopy (throat and bum)
Turns out....my health anxiety went from worrying about the test results to worrying about dying while sedated! Sigh....my stupid brain. My BP was at 136 I was so nervous...I kept asking them questions about the sedation because I was convinced that was going to kill me....
I have a lot of heart palpations and I'm pretty sure I have PCOS so I worry about heart disease of course...So I was afraid I had some underlying heart condition that the sedation was going to bring out and send me into cardiac arrest. I almost skipped the whole appt altogether because of this fear alone. But after going through that prep. ..I wasn't gonna back out.
Everyone in the room was really nice and as she was putting the sleep medicine in my tube I said "Goodbye cruel world...." I had to go out with dramatics, right? ;)
Anyways!! I woke up from it all feeling like I had just taken a nice cozy nap....I was so relieved. Even MORE relieved when the Dr told me no polyps or cancer!!! Ahhhhh!! I was so happy I held his hand in my sleepy state.
Turns out I have a hiatial hernia that the endo found and diverticulosis,  mild gastritis,  internal hemmerhoids,  and possible IBS.
None of these things are that worrisome and nothing my current diet can't fix eventually.
Sorry for the long post. Just thought I'd put my story here on the Internet to relieve someone who can't seem to find any info other than CANCER. I had all the classic symptoms they say people have with colon cancer too.....
Now this post is not to get you off the hook! If you have symptoms....go see a dr. This info is just here to ease your mind that blood does not always mean the worst!
And the colonscopy was a breeze. Honestly because I was out...I don't remember anything. I feel like I just went to the Dr's and came right home. Neither area that they worked on hurts either ;) piece of cake...
A tip for those doing the colon prep....don't wipe! Everyone warned me that it hurts really bad after you go so many times....All I did was dab it good each time and had no pain at all. You're gonna be in there every 15 min....no need to wipe so hard each time! And the amount of liquid you have to drink isn't that bad. Just the salty taste of it got gross after awhile. But I find that if you swish with regular water after a big chug...it helps take the saltiness away fast so you don't have it lingering in your mouth.....blergh.

Alright if anyone has any questions...let me know  :angel-smiley-006: :-* :bigsmile: ;*) :spineyes: :goofy:
Bookmark and Share

Offline kjoyce

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: colon cancer/colonscopy scare UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »
YEY! What a great news! You went through a lot and I know how you felt cos I had a similar experience.

Well done!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

Offline everette

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 03:27:54 PM »
my health anxiety went from worrying about the test results to worrying about dying while sedated! Sigh

That is one of the things that is worrying me right now.
I had a hernia operation about 15 years ago and they didn't want to put me to sleep because I smoke so they put some meds in my back to make me numb chest down.

I am older than you 48 so I am also worried about them finding something.
But I've only seen blood twice and only after constipation so I feel like it's internal hemorrhoid but my mind is saying something else.
I have had no cramps or such pains and I had diarrhea in the mornings a few days after we decided to set up the colonscopy but I think that was nerves and all good this morning.
I also have have over the past week incomplete bowel movements but I understand that that is a symptom of internal hemorrhoid as well.
My regular doctor wanted to set up a colonscopy mostly to ease my mind and he said that he didn't hear or see anything from me that worries him.
I'm supposed to meet with doc  that's going to do the colonscopy Tuesday.

Anyway glad to hear that all is well with you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »
Congradulations :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline hezzera

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I seriously feel like I conquered a major battle today. I feel so relieved and I celebrated with a big comfy worry free nap! Lol.
Everett,  have you had recent blood work done? Usually anemia is seen and white blood cell count is up if something mean is going on in there. Remember, don't wipe! Lol. Tell me how everything goes fellow GI warrior!
I plan on stopping with the junk food and lazy lifestyle I naturally fall into and starting up a vegan super food filled diet to try and get my body back into shape. I figure...The healthier I can get myself, the less I'll worry about what I've done to myself..
Oh and a tip for readers...mucus, blood, diarrhea,  weight loss, stomach pains, gas, and even anemia don't mean cancer either. My fiance had all these things (horrible death smelling gas- poor guy) and turns out he has ulcerative colitis. Still not good....but not cancer! If anyone has any questions about UC. .let me know. I feel like I'm a pro on poop talk these days.....
Everette. .I've also found that a magnesium deficiency can cause constipation. You should double check that in your bloodwork. I started taking a magnesium supplement (Natural Calm - Raspberry Lemonade powder) and I think that was what kick started my bowels after a period of bad constipation. I'm not deficient in mag but it is a good form of laxative...just don't take more than they recommend! It works well :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 05:57:03 PM »
thanks for this. you may have seen my recent posts that i'm scheduled for my follow up colonoscopy on monday. i had one 6 years ago(was supposed to follow up after 5 years, just now getting around to it) i had 2 benign polyps on that one, so i'm due for another one. i'm hoping that it is to prevent anything and that  nothing could grow into cancer in 6 years.  i am almost 49, history of breast cancer, (possible family c/c history...not sure on that.long story). have had lower left side "discomfort", like a pinchy feeling or a pulling type feeling for probably 6-12 months, diarrhea attacks(1 x month), weight loss without trying(over 1-2 years, 15 pounds).and i'm just not as regular as i used to be. those are my "symptoms". i'd like to believe they are vague, but when i add them up, i get scared...

guess i'll know on monday  B-;
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:02:51 PM »
Hezzera, that is FANTASTIC news!  I'm so happy for you!

I can imagine how relieved you must feel.   You are doing the right thing by changing your eating habits and just trying to do things a little healthier. 

Enjoy the rest of your day and this moment of relaxation knowing everything is just fine. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon