Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Lady Problems  (Read 139 times)

Offline worriedlass

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lady Problems
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »
Hey ladies,
I've been having period problems. My period can be very irregular. Every now and then I have had light spotting for a month at a time. When I do get my "regular" period it lasts a while and comes every 3 weeks, I know this is considered "normal" but I feel like I barely have breaks in between periods due the the length of them. That part isn't really what concerns me, it's the fact that I can have this stupid spotting for a month. It's so frustrating, and I'm worried there is something seriously wrong with me. Also I've tried going on birth control to get lighter periods but that's how the month long periods started, it's happened twice on birth control and it's happening once right now (I'm off of birth control now). I went to the doctor and had a physical 5 months ago. I had a pap smear and everything was normal. I told my doctor that I have had a very light period that lasts a month before while on the pill. She said that if I lost weight my period would be more normal. (I quit smoking 8 months ago and have put on some pounds) Does anyone else have this problem? It is severely stressing me out, and I am terrified of going to the doctor and she is far away so it's very difficult for me to just go see her without having major anxiety issues, and I feel like since I've already mentioned this to her it would be a waste to go for another visit considering the stressful toll it takes on me. This month long spotting thing has happened to me about 3 times in the past 3 years so it's not a very frequent thing, but it still worries me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedlass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lady Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:01:44 AM »
After rereading this... I've got way too ahead of myself. I haven't actually had my period for a month yet, but it's been almost a week of having extremely light spotting so I feel like it's about to happen again, and I'm talking like it's already happened. There's a chance that it might not be the case but this is how the other incidents started.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedlass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
I guess I should also mention that my weight has been fluctuating a lot lately because I've been trying to diet and lose weight. Okay I'm done replying to my own post without any other replies now heh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline colorlessideas

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:40:22 AM »
I had irregular periods but I don't on birth control. (I've also lost weight, so that might have helped. I was about 20 lbs overweight before).
How long were you on birth control? Going on and off always causes things to be off initially, it takes a few months for things to be normal. It may have also not been a good match. Have you tried more than one kind?

Could you call your doctor? Tell them your concern and ask if they think maybe you should go on birth control and possibly a different kind?

Weight loss and gain can impact your periods, as can stress. I wouldn't worry, but I think you should talk to your doctor, especially if you continue to have irregularities. Remember that your doctor deals with women who have this type of problem all the time. Do not be afraid about voicing your concerns. It is their job, and they want to help you.
Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:48:16 PM »
How old are you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedlass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:59:17 PM »
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »
I was going to say menopause but you are too young for that.   Menopause is hormonal and acts just like that.  (I am post menopause and had that dark brown kind of spotting period for 40 days) so I bet yours is hormonal too.  Too much or too little of one of them for any number of reasons (the birth control could have messed you up temporarily, stress can do it, etc)
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedlass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 01:43:43 PM »
I kind of feel like my hormones are completely out of whack lately, I'm crying at things I normally wouldn't cry about, I feel things intensely, whereas before I felt almost robot like and never cried. I know stress and birth control can kind of mess around with hormones, and because the previous times this has happened it was while I was on birth control, I kind of suspect that's what is going on. I guess I  just needed some reassurance that there's a good chance this probably isn't something horribly serious if some others have experienced something similar. I had a normal pap smear so that is kind of reassuring as well, but I know sometimes health issues take a little more testing than the basics to figure out what's up. If this continues to happen I will force myself to get checked again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietygal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 01:45:29 PM »
Has your doctor considered PCOS?  Irregular periods (too long, heavy, extended spotting or missing) are one of the major symptoms.  And it's definitely possible to go between no periods to long ones.  Other possible symptoms include oily skin, acne, hirsutism, weight gain especially abdominal, and others I'm not thinking of right now.  PCOS is very treatable and manageable - you might just have to test out some different birth control pills.

Just something you might want to consider.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »
Going back to your OB and explaining your concern about this ongoing issue wouldn't be out of line. I think the next step would be an U/S. My periods have been strange the past 2 years,  I've had lots of tests the past few months, at least I know anything serious has been ruled out. Be persistent with your OB until you get answers.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: