Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Thinking about death and the purpose of life.  (Read 220 times)

Offline jamespianoo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thinking about death and the purpose of life.
« on: February 20, 2014, 12:06:46 AM »
Just for the record, I am in no way extremely depressed, contemplating ***** or anything like that. However since experiencing a near-chronic level of anxiety, in my low periods my brain ends up dwelling on what I like to call the "What does it all mean" feeling. Its like this weird pain that goes through my soul about what exactly the point of life is. My mind thinks about death often during these periods, which particularly happen when I am tired or alone and inactive. By the way I am 24 and feel like in a way i am having a quarter-life crisis! I'm keeping busy, working, playing music (which by the way is the greatest therapy of all!), and spending good times with my girlfriend and friends. However, when I'm alone my mind keeps coming back to these thoughts of death and the point existence.

During these times I am trying tactics like distracting myself, reminding myself of funny things, phoning someone, telling myself off, etc etc. It works sometimes and not others. Sometimes I don't know whether I'm actually feeling this or if the anxiety is just playing tricks with my mind.

When it comes down to it I am scared of death. I know I am too young to even worry about this, I am medically very healthy, but this is causing me great trouble. Thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Thinking about death and the purpose of life.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:33:20 AM »
It is so easy to think of such things when you are feeling down. What I would suggest is some reading. Some positive material. These thoughts you are thinking about are set deep within your subconscious mind. Now if you were to find something positive and happy to read, the whole idea idea would be to feed the subconscious mind with something new. It could be a book on mindfulness or simply a happy novel. But I would suggest a positive book that would make you have to think. That way it would have to get the mind thinking. Only now it won't be thinking about death. It will be thinking of this topic you have fed it. So, in a sense, you are pushing the negative out. and replacing it with positive stuff. It may take a while to work. But mindfulness is one topic that will really get your mind thinking. People use it to get better. But it can be very deep at times. If you really explore its foundations. You'll be flooding the mind with something new and more positive.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline jmomarty

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:35:33 AM »
First, I'm not sure but "thinking about death" doesn't seem to me like a negative thing in itself. It can help you to decide what you want to do with the time you have left on earth. If thinking about death means worrying that one day I'll die, it can be a good thing sometimes. If thinking about death means wanting to die, that's another question...

Second, I don't think there is such thing a "purpose of life". It's just that when you suffer, you want to have at least a sense for your suffering. The "bad" thing is that there is no sense to your suffering in my opinion. You're not suffering for a "greater" cause. You're just suffering. While when you're having fun, you're just having fun. (The same for me of course)

I think that the only "sense" that life could mean is to find something that you enjoy and do it, a project, whatever. But it takes time to find something you enjoy, so we have to be patient.

My "philosophy" about Life (I try to remind myself of this when I suffer too) is that 1) we don't have to fear Death because while we're alive, it doesn't exist and when death is there, we don't exist anymore (that's from Epicure) and 2) I see Death as the Big Rest :) and somehow it helps me coping with my bad times and motivates me to go beyond my limits to do something "great" of my existence.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »
This happens to be my favorite preoccupation. Just love that it is here as an open subject. Appreciate everyone's input. Why open? Because death generally remains a taboo subject. Our attitude remains unrealistic. And purpose? It's all over the place.

So where am I? At one with death, though it is tragic for the young esp. if others are dependent upon them. Also, very worried about the horror it can be before we get there. And purpose? I create my own by avoiding jumping off bridges thereby causing no suffering to those I leave behind and doing my utmost to do the best I can for others.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jamespianoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »
My "philosophy" about Life (I try to remind myself of this when I suffer too) is that 1) we don't have to fear Death because while we're alive, it doesn't exist and when death is there, we don't exist anymore (that's from Epicure) and 2) I see Death as the Big Rest :) and somehow it helps me coping with my bad times and motivates me to go beyond my limits to do something "great" of my existence.

I think this is a very nice attitude. My problem with thinking about death is that I get scared about what is beyond my concept of reality. However because it is completely outside anything and everything I can imagine there really is nothing to fear. I can know this rationally, but when anxiety kicks in my body starts to search for ways that it can prevent me "dying". You know, not actually, but the illusion is there.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: