Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How to figure out what I want to do with my life?  (Read 145 times)

Offline SummerSun41

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How to figure out what I want to do with my life?
« on: February 20, 2014, 12:00:48 AM »
First, I want to say that I'm a GAD sufferer for about 8 months now. I'm sure it probably plays a part in all my career issues, but I think I'd still have this problem if I didn't have GAD.

So anyway- I graduated college last May with a BS in exercise science. I originally wanted to go to physical therapy school but realized I don't mix well with blood and injuries, so that's out. So I enrolled again and for the past two semesters, I've been going to classes to get a bachelor's in computer science. However, I don't think this is a good fit for me either. I thought it would be SO different than it actually is, and the people in my class are anti-social and 99% male. I just don't fit in or feel welcome. I looked into a few other options, like speech language pathology and advertising/journalism, which I think would be fun. But now I feel like I've wasted six years in school and have nothing to show for it, plus a little bit of debt (thankfully I was on scholarships for most of my schooling), so I don't really want to continue school. I'm burned out on it and completing this semester with no motivation (since I know I won't be finishing this degree) is going to be difficult enough.

I know I want to help people and increase their quality of life. I've put in my application for a few cardiac rehabilitation jobs, but I'm a bit under qualified with only having a bachelor's degree (they usually prefer a master's). I'm hoping they call me back but if not, I really have no idea what to do. I feel a lot of pressure to figure this out because I'm getting married in about a year and will be looking for a place to live/house to buy with my future husband, and my parents expect me to be successful and I want to make them proud. I currently have a part time job in customer service for a small business, which could probably turn into full time if I really wanted to- but I wouldn't make very much money. I'm afraid to get a job that I just "tolerate" because I feel like I would be miserable (maybe that's not true- I tolerate my current job just fine, maybe actually like it, and it's nowhere near what I ever pictured for myself). It doesn't help that I live in a small city and unles you're in the medical field, there went many options for you.

Honestly, I'm just so frustrated that I could cry. I have no idea where to go in my career path, I don't know how to figure it out, and I don't know what to do in the meantime. I can always just work at my part time job until I figure something out, but I feel like I'd disappoint the people around me. I mean, they'd understand what I'm going through and wouldn't be rude or think negatively of me, but we all know I can do better! I just really need some advice or stories of people who have been where I am.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: How to figure out what I want to do with my life?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:02:44 AM »
I so feel for you. These are such difficult times in terms of work. Expectations are so high at both sides. I was young many years ago when there were more jobs than people to fill them.

But I like to daydream what I'd do today. It perhaps could be exercise science that you mention first. See where I could fit that in. Be a gym teacher? A Personal Trainer? Or, best, start a Wellness Center with a variety of activities. Just some thoughts. Be hopeful, optimistic, trust your judgment. Nothing has been a waste of time. Be patient and you will find the right spot for yourself.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: