Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: new here...can't stop obsessing over health problems :(  (Read 249 times)

Offline Madison5151

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
new here...can't stop obsessing over health problems :(
« on: February 19, 2014, 11:45:44 PM »
Hello everyone! This is my first post. I am a 22 year old female with no severe health problems. I have minor interstitial cystitis, and I get the occasional ovarian cyst. I have been a hypochondriac my entire life, and if I'm even coming down with something as simple as a cold, I seriously am convinced that I have some sort of incurable illness! It is driving me crazy, and my poor boyfriend is getting sick of it as well.

I woke up in the middle of the night a little over a week ago and began vomiting. I have not had any sort of stomach flu or even thrown up since I was 6 years old! I took most of the week off work, and even though I'm back to my regular routine, I still feel unwell. I also have been able to sort of feel my left ovary for the past few months...it doesn't hurt, I can just tell that it's there. Since I have a history of cysts, and I am on a strong dose birth control, I probably shouldn't be thinking about ovarian cancer, but I cannot keep it off my mind. Before I got sick my bowel habits have changed over the past month as well..I am going up to 3x a day instead of just once like usual. I went to a clinic complaining that I was still nauseous after my stomach flu...the doctor felt my organs/lymph nodes/drew my blood and urine and said NOTHING was wrong!!! In my mind right now I'm convinced that the lingering nausea is due to ovarian cancer, and not remnants of a stomach flu. I seriously cannot think logically right now and I don't feel like I can talk to anyone about this because they just laugh it off. If I had a CBC blood test done and I had cancer would there have been some sort of red flag in my blood?? This sounds so crazy when I type it out like this but I seriously cannot stop thinking about it. I am terrified of going to the doctor and really don't want to go back just yet. Any opinions would be appreciated. THANK YOU!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: new here...can't stop obsessing over health problems :(
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:28:52 AM »
The nausea can linger.  Once your stomach lining becomes irritated, usually from food poisoning or severe stress, it takes a LONG time for that to clear up!   I never threw up but I had stomach irritation for 4 months due to SEVERE stress.   My daughter's friend had some lingering issues after food poisoning.  Sounds like you had food poisoning rather than a virus due to the fact you are still a little unwell like that.
That's not a symptom of ovarian cancer, you'd have bad bloating to where you can't even button your jeans.  Plus you'd have irregular bleeding (spotting between periods, etc)  Ovarian cancer is the most common in post menopausal women.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:31:45 AM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. A CBC would most like detect a blood cancer such as Leukemia or Lymphoma. My GI physician once told me that
in many cases the cause of nausea is never found.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline MissSteele

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 02:26:52 PM »
I feel you, health anxiety is the worst! Everyone gets sick, everyone vomits from time to time. No cause for alarm. Naturally, WebMD will bring up the worst case scenarios, but these are hardly ever the case. If you were truly sick, your body would be far worse off. Your body is designed to alert you when there is a serious problem, and throwing up on occasion isn't one of them. To ease your mind, go see your doctor and get a physical with blood work. Talk to them about your intense health anxiety and they will probably recommend some sort of medication to help prevent your anxiety. Mine recommended Lexapro and it has made a HUGE difference for me! I had a MAJOR problem with health anxiety, I was self-diagnosing myself with every disease in the book! But, the meds have really helped and I always try and remember something my mother always said to me: You are human, it is natural to feel sick every now and then, to have random aches and pains. Every person does.

You are fine, your health anxiety is telling you otherwise.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Madison5151

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 12:50:19 AM »
Thank you all SO much! It is so refreshing to be able to talk to people that understand how I'm feeling...I swear everyone thinks I'm crazy when I try and bring something like this up. I am feeling a bit better today and am going to try and make a conscious effort to stay away from Web MD for a while...haha
Bookmark and Share

Tags: