Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Am I a sociopath?  (Read 256 times)

Offline math989

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Am I a sociopath?
« on: February 19, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »
Alas, I have a new obsession and this has to deal with the sociopathic personally. I started to question my sanity when my English teacher was talking about sociopaths in class. Every since then I have been re-analyzing everything that has happened in my life and it's regard to sociopathic personally.

Here are asked examples:
I have read that sociopaths don't feel any sympathy for people, so every time that I see something sad or that some hard thing that has happened to someone-I try to feel for them to prove that I'm not one of those people (I do feel emotions here)

Another one is where if I feel guilty or not.
Well when I went upstairs without cleaning up, my mother said something along the lines of cleaning this mess up all by herself.  I did not feel really guilty about this but only slightly, which concerned me a little bit. But rather I felt like it was my moral right to go back down stairs in order to help her.

I read that sociopaths hurt animals so, when I was kid had a cringing fear of ants.  So I got the hose and almost wiped out the colony. Looking back on that it probably wasn't the smartest idea. But I would never hurt my dogs that I have.

I have had crushes on girls before and I really want to love and care for someone, but I feel like this fear making me think other wise.

I get violent thoughts from time to time which kind of bothers me but I try to ignore them instead of suppressing them.

I also read that they admire a nicly executed crime. So I was watching this bank robbery movie and I was thinking to my self "Dang these guys must be professionals in the way it was executed"  which alarmed me a little bit. I also try to praise the good guy as much as possible.

I don't know if this would count as compulsive lying but I sometimes talk about experiences or events that hadn't happen to my friends so that I can sound more interesting. I rarely do this, and only with the people whom I want some respect from. To combat this i try to be as honest as possible now.

Lastly, I read that sociopaths are generally intelligent individuals, and I think I am a pretty intellectual human being.

I think that is all that I can possibly think about now, there might be more but I can't think of them now . So what do you guys think?
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Am I a sociopath?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:12:19 PM »
It doesn't sound like you are a sociopath :)  First of all you are worried about being one, I don't think sociopaths care if they are one or not--in fact they probably like being sociopathic.

About the ants...when my sister and I were little we were playing in the backyard, there was a 1 1/2 foot high concrete wall below the fence that divided our yard and the neighbors yard.  My sister saw a bug come out of a hole in the concrete, she ran in the house to get a can of Raid, and began spraying it in the hole. After that lots more bugs came out of the hole, she started screaming and spraying them, and I'm sure killing them.  Well, she didn't turn out to be a sociopath---she's a Registered Nurse!

I can understand the fear of it though, being a sociopath sounds scary..that is probably why you are worried about it :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MITRush

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:52:58 PM »
I would say with great confidence you are no sociopath- what you've written can be explained away within the paradigm of anxiety symptoms.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that panic and anxiety wears down the nerves so that they can't function with normal intensity and accuracy.  So basically, you don't feel things as much.  You don't feel joy as much, and compassion can be hard to come by.  Also it is harder to be compassionate when your suffering is intense.  I can see why this would be confused with a sociopathic personality, but it's not.

The violent thoughts are also a hallmark symptom of GAD.  Your nerves are so battered down that you can't control your own thoughts and the thoughts you least desire are the ones you will have.  So, for example, if you don't want to think about hurting somebody, you will.  You won't actually act on it, but the thought is there and the more you want it to go away, the more it will stay and intensify.  So, let the violent thoughts be and just look at them as excess adrenaline and tired nerves.

Many people exaggerate and lie.  Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, but it's human and within a normal range of human behavior.  To be sociopathic would be closer to being compulsively manipulative without remorse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »
MITRush, excellent reply!!  I have often had negative thoughts about myself, and my intentions, always being extremely hard on myself, but I realize those thoughts and feelings are not factual they are just part of my anxiety and the way it works.

Thank You, your reply was very helpful!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: