Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Bat Rabies  (Read 115 times)

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bat Rabies
« on: February 19, 2014, 04:48:43 PM »
Okay so rabies is my new found fear. And I know I probably have more of a chance of winning the lottery than catching rabies, but Im still terrified.

How likely is it for an awake, sober person to be bit in their house by a bat without noticing? I didnt see any bat and I have a cat and he hasn't seemed to notice anything and its winter (in New York) so most likely any bats are hibernating. I just feel so crazy and helpless. I have somehow convinced myself that some tiny scratch on my hand (that I probably got from my nail, or a cereal box, or my computer or something) is from a sneak attack from a bat during a time when I was perfectly awake, aware, and sober. I feel insane.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or a similar one? :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bat Rabies
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:58:39 PM »
Okay I need to bump this because I am severely freaking out. Please help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:28:43 PM »
It's not possible. You're terrified of rabies. How are you not going to notice a bat attacking your hand? It didn't happen. You don't have rabies.

Bats do not scratch, anyways. They bite. There would be puncture wounds. They also don't just bite you real sneakily and fly away.

It's just not possible that it's from a bat.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:16:14 PM »
Mainly I was just wondering about how sneaky bats can be. I've never been attacked by a bat (obviously) so I have no idea how quiet they can be. We had one in our house once (like 10 years ago) but my mom got rid of it before I woke up so I didn't really have an experience with it. I've looked all over the place and havent seen any sign of a bat and my cat is a killer so if he suspected anything the bat would be dead. I feel like I would've noticed a bat flying away or crawling away or anything. I suppose it wouldnt be able to get away that easily. I just didnt know how stealthy they were. I know its completely illogical but rabies terrifies me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:04:52 PM »
Hi :action-smiley-065:

I just read your post and as I also live in NY I want to reassure you that there is no way you have been bitten or scratched by a bat. This time of year bats are hibernating and given the extreme below freezing temps we have endured over the past month it is highly unlikely a bat would come out of hibernation. I admit I share your fears and I have actually been bitten by a bat in 2000 outside my house in the late summer. My encounter was while they were spraying for west nile and the spray according to the health dept threw off it's radar and it flew into me. For years I have in my terror of getting rabies have spoken to the local health dept, CDC and Bat Conservation. If you need to ask questions you can PM me and I will answer any questions you have. I hope you can relax for now even a little though I know the terror of this phobia is never far away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 08:41:42 PM »
Bats are not stealthy. Have you ever just watched a bat fly? They're all over the place. They are complete spazzes.

I had tons of them in my attic when my family lived on a farm when I was younger. They'd get into the house all of the time. I had one get caught in my hair. There is nothing stealthy about them, ESPECIALLY indoors, because the walls throw them off like crazy.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: