Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Smelling skunk?!  (Read 237 times)

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Smelling skunk?!
« on: February 19, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »
Ok, so last night I woke up around 3:30 am and smelled skunk. I started freaking out and got out of bed and smelled outside to see if there was a skunk smell outside, but there wasn't! Maybe the cold air made the smell less noticeable? I could only smell it in my room.

Anyway, I'm freaked out because that was another phantom smell experiece... skunk and burning/smoke smells are the most common phantom smells associated with brain tumors, so I am freaked out by this. I'm going back to the neurologist tomorrow, but I just want to know if anyone has smelled skunk randomly before or any other smell?
Bookmark and Share

Offline albert

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Smelling skunk?!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »
I actually have been smelling what I call cigarette smoke smell.  This has been going on and off since I was 12.  I hadn't smelled it for a few years and hadn't been bothered by it, it started a few months ago.  I would get it once a month about for only a few minutes, then a few weeks ago it was almost every 3rd day and the episodes went up to a few hours.  Once my sinuses started acting up I added that to the mix and found...yes, Brain Tumor.  I completely went insane, I went to my doctor who told me that it was part of the sinus infection.  I told him that it had been there way before the infection, he didn't really seem to care that much.  Now I'm in the same boat, I don't know what to do and I feel like a fool going back...let me know what you've found out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:47:43 PM »
Didn't you just go for a 2'nd MRI with contrast?   (Or didn't you get results yet.   I don't know anything about MRI's - do you get results immediately or is it the "waiting game"?)
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »
Yes, I went for my second MRI of my brain last week and got my results yesterday. Everything is fine! I have so many bizarre symptoms, phantom smells being one of them. I just accepted that weird things happen sometimes with no explanation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:20:23 PM »
I knew you'd be fine! :action-smiley-065:
I hope you start to relax now - it's hard after being upset so long.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »
Thank you! For now, I'm not worried... my HA has slowed down a lot, but my germ/food poisoning fear is back full force. It's incredible how OCD can change.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »
AH!  Another germophobe!  I hear ya!  Food poisoning too!  Never had it.  I think because I am SO OCD with food preparation!  You should see me making chicken, I'm like a surgeon with washing my hands many, many times, sterilizing things, etc!  LOL!
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 07:53:23 PM »
Omg I made chicken soup the other day and I literally bleached everything it was like a surgical procedure. Hahahaha. Right now I'm freaking out and debating whether or not to eat this frozen Asian chicken that foesnt have preservatives. There's no expiration date so I'm not sure if it went bad!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 08:02:51 PM »
I use food gloves to handle raw meat, have for years.

I also use those plastic bags in the grocery store at the produce to slip my hand in , choose my meat package and then fold over the plastic and tie it.  I did that for years, before the bags now in the meat section to use.  I hated when people had raw meat packages on the check out moving belt and I didn't want my items on those raw meat puddles.   
OCD??  Nah.  Just common sense caution to me.
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline Sunlover

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »
Omg I made chicken soup the other day and I literally bleached everything it was like a surgical procedure. Hahahaha. Right now I'm freaking out and debating whether or not to eat this frozen Asian chicken that foesnt have preservatives. There's no expiration date so I'm not sure if it went bad!

See, something like that I'd smell it, and if it smells OK I'd cook it, then smell it after its cooked.  If it's bad you would definitely know it.  If it's been frozen then no bacteria grew in it.  Now if it were just sitting in your refrigerator for a week, then no, I'd toss it!

Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 10:13:41 PM »
Daisy55, I HATE that!!! I get so paranoid putting my food on the belts at the check out line.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: