Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: tooth infection  (Read 244 times)

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
tooth infection
« on: February 19, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »
Ok, so I got a tooth extracted last week. Since hen I've still had bad pain and swelling. Went to the dentist today and she ordered another round of antibiotics...its kind of making me ear and throat hurt..which could be referred pain...but I'm thinking the infection will spread to my brain!!! I'm so scared..please tell me someone can relate to my situation so I'm not so anxious
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: tooth infection
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:49:02 AM »
Anyone??!!  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worry2Much

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:59:40 AM »
I recently had a infected tooth root canaled. It had been infected for quite some time and was pretty bad. I thought it was possibly just a sinus infection.
I was having a lot of ear pain but it wasn't constant and would come and go. I also had pains in my throat but were really in my neck which made me think my lymph nodes were swollen. While they probably were I was thinking it was related to the big "C" and not due to infection.
I still have these pains every now and again but I think a tooth on the bottom is infected.

It honestly makes me feel better knowing someone else is going through what I did.
I honestly thought the infection was going to my brain as well but that's just how HA seems to work.

Take care :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline lulululu

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:16:41 PM »
Ive never ever ever heard of that happening - i wouldnt worry :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline aec711

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »
I just went through this a few weeks ago - in fact I had a root canal yesterday lol.   I was put on antibiotics - had a giant swollen face and pain.  A good friend of mine is an ER doctor, so I called him and he assured me that since I was on antibiotics I would be fine - and he told me to calm down lol.  After I talked to him I was convinced it wouldn't spread to my brain. I had done way too much googling.  I hope you feel better.  It sucks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 03:24:28 PM »
Thanks everyone! Although your stories are reassuring....could there be any reason why it still hurts after a week and a half with antibiotics? The dentist said its typical....and if she was concerned that it was spreading I would think she would have had said something?
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 03:45:04 PM »
I forgot to add...at the extraction aight and the tooth surrounding it, I can feel pulsating like my heart beat...anyone else get that too? And why so long after the extraction is all of this going on? (a week and a half)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MissSteele

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »
naynaydevil2, listen to me. I was in your EXACT SAME situation about a year ago. I had an infected tooth extracted (I had a botched wisdom tooth extraction years prior and it caused problems in the tooth next to it). Anyway, he pulled my tooth and prescribed me a round of antibiotics. Then another round. My jaw was killing me for weeks afterward. I was certain the infection had spread to my jaw and was traveling towards my brain. I read stories online (I know, this was a HUGE mistake) about people who had a tooth infection spread to their brain and they died, or people who had to frequent the hospital because their jaw kept becoming infected. I became terrified. I went back to the dentist twice with these irrational fears and he kept telling me that my pain was perfectly normal, that nothing was wrong. He was right. I am fine. I know it's hard when you have anxiety to trust your dentist/doctor/etc., but please do! If something was really wrong, they would most likely know about it. Xrays and scans can detect a serious problem such as a traveling infection. You would be much sicker if you had a brain infection. Since it hasn't been that long since your tooth was removed, your pain is perfectly normal. He told me my pain lasted so long because my back tooth was so close to my sinuses can it was possible they were wounded during the extraction, causing the jaw pain that lasted for weeks. I was fine, I still am fine. I have been where you are, and you will be fine too. If your dentist suspected it was spreading she would not just let you leave and not say anything. She can tell if there is cause for concern. Your anxiety is forcing you to believe something else is wrong.  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 04:44:37 PM »
Thank you so much! You really made me feel better
Bookmark and Share

Offline aec711

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 08:47:36 PM »
Yes- above poster is right.  Plus, mine still hurts and feels like something is in my cheek - it is an upper tooth.  My pain started on Superbowl Sunday and it is still sore.  I was so worried about it going to my brain as well, but I was assured I would be fine, so I trusted my friend - he is the best Dr I know. Plus, dentists know what to look for as far as spreading. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 11:25:54 PM »
I just don't get why it isn't better by now  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
The thing that's bothering me the most is that the wound isn't healing as it should. I'm sure smoking doesn't help. But the head, ear and throat pain is still making me think that the infection is spreading and I don't see the dentist again for a week. I'm also thinking that my immune system is down because of some horrible disease manifesting thru my body!! Uuuhghhh its just a snowball affect.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eva1227

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »
I am going to tell you that on Tuesday I had sedation dentistry for five and a half hours. Since I have RA my teeth have gone to pot, so on Tuesday I had FIVE root canals and an extraction!!! I can show you the $5500.00 bill if you don't believe me. Anyway one of the teeth was abscessed and now is draining from a small wound in my gum. The pain is so much better than before the work was done as I could barely touch my face before hand. I looked like a chipmunk when I got home and now two days later I was able to eat soft food. It takes time to heal. As long as you are on the antibiotic it will heal. I have been on Clindamycin for two weeks and it is still healing.

Do not stress this. Let it heal. Rinse with salt water and leave it alone.

Eva
Bookmark and Share

Tags: