Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Constant Feeling of Faintness  (Read 184 times)

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Strength is in the eye of the beholder.
    • Poke This Member
Constant Feeling of Faintness
« on: February 18, 2014, 06:23:37 PM »
I have to be honest, I've had this for months but haven't really told anyone about it. In certain moments in the day, all of a sudden, and it will mostly be when I am standing, I will feel like I have stopped breathing. I will then become lightheaded, my knees will become weak and I will feel like hitting the floor. It is *especially* worse when I am standing still after doing some sort of activity, I feel like I have to force my breath out in order to breathe at all. The feeling also happens when I am walking and I feel like I have to force my breath out when I am walking as well because I am breathing too slowly. During these episodes, everything tends to look and become unreal.  This happens to me periodically during the day. I took my BP and HR at Rite Aid after/during one of these episodes. My BP was fine but my HR was through the roof at 117. When I was walking before standing in line, my HR was up but when standing....and during one of these episodes where I felt like I wasn't breathing and was gonna hit the floor, my HR seemed to go from beating really hard to falling substantially.

I am also fighting a cold [sore throat and cough are my main complaints], so this may be a contributing factor, but this has been going on and getting worse during the month. I was standing in line at the grocery store and thought that I was gonna collapse because it felt like I wasn't breathing, so I forced my breath out. It was scary as hell and I usually rock back and forth during these episodes in my boots, which doesn't help very much. I do think that this is a heart rhythm issue that may end up hurting me. :( I've never actually fainted, but I've come very, very close. I keep having left arm pains [even tingling in my upper left arm earlier today], anxiety/doom feelings, and a squeezing feeling in my chest on and off as well. :(

I'm only 16 and my EKG, which was done around the time I had one of these *first* near fainting episodes, was normal. This was June 2013. I feel like it keeps getting worse. I am nervous. Anyone else relate? I am uninsured now, but I really want to see someone.
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.
"I would recommend that you lay off the Google crack pipe for a little while."- vardnas

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant Feeling of Faintness
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 06:47:04 PM »
Can anybody help? This is my most frightening issue yet.
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.
"I would recommend that you lay off the Google crack pipe for a little while."- vardnas

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:15:09 PM »
You know, we all hesitate to call everything here "anxiety" - but it sure sounds like it!   Those are typical symptoms!  If you can, you should get the book, "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Claire Weekes.  In fact she wrote several books and is really good!   If you are concerned, check it out, she may have your issue in there.   (You had a heart test and it was fine, so try the book) of COURSE it's getting worse, because when you focus on something with health anxiety it DOES get worse, no matter what the symptom is.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:32:21 PM »
I agree, I try to hesitate to call it all anxiety because all of these symptoms are consistent. I wish I could get the book. :( It happens to me at random, too! :(
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 07:53:06 PM »
Anxiety symptoms can be consistent or inconsistent or vague or very "in your face".  The more you focus on them the more consistent and "in your face" they become. 

Do you have access to Amazon?  (since you are 16 I am sure you'd have to order things on your parents credit card) Are your parents involved in this issue?  I mean does your mom think it's a medical problem or does she lean toward thinking it's anxiety?  They have the book on Amazon.
Or maybe your local library, you can ask them - used books stores is another option (in case you don't want to involve your parents because they won't understand)
Bookmark and Share

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:05:11 PM »
My mother thinks that it's anxiety and that I need a friend.
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »
Do you WANT a friend?  Or are you like my daughter and prefer to be alone all the time?   Even if you could get some kind of interest to get your mind off yourself.  I know that when I am involved in some kind of project I am really good, but since July I am involved in NOTHING except worrying about various things about my health.  It's hard to FORCE an interest, that has to come naturally.  Think of something you like to do and try to get involved in some aspect of it.  I was interested in building and carpentry so at one point I got involved in Habitat for Humanity  (that's just an example, think of what interests YOU and think if there are any groups or organizations that you can involve yourself in that would pertain to your interest)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 08:18:03 PM »
Hope and help for your nerves is an excellent read,
Highy recommend it
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 08:20:44 PM »
Personally, I am in the middle of both. My best friends all reside on the internet and I moved away from my closest friend in 2012, who lives over 800 miles away from me now and I could never see her physically. I miss her to death. I wish I had a friend in real life just like her, but I honestly cannot trust many people. At all. :/ I am involved in writing classes and other stuff but I am afraid to message people online because I have a very hard time socializing through messages- unless the people I am talking to can create interesting subject matters and can hold a discussion for longer than 5 minutes. I do far better with real life socializing, unless the people I am socializing online with are adults.

I am fighting a cough and sore throat- that will make anyone feel like *****. I think that may be a culprit as to why symptoms are worse but the faintness has been going on for a while. It always feels worse when someone is DRIVING. It is THE WORST at that time. I will almost pass out in the car or bus and it makes me terrified to go on either one. I try to let the feeling pass but the anxiety takes over me.
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »
Where were you the first time you got one of those "attacks"? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 01:39:50 AM »
I was walking to the Post Office to drop off a money order, I felt awful, out of breath, and faint. I went for an EKG later that day, which was normal. The next day, i felt faint with siezure like symptoms. I got an MRI done, which determined that my head was normal (aside from anxiety and crap, of course).
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.

Online clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 02:16:15 AM »
It really does sound like anxiety. I have similar symptoms and my bp and hr will read similar. Since I'm older, my bp is more responsive to distress and does fluctuate, and it's also affected by my acid reflux. My heart rate definitely rockets upwards when my anxiety kicks in. You can't fool your body.

Best tip I have is to relax, maybe even keep a journal of when/where these happen and what you eat, drink, or anything else you feel will contribute to the attack cause. While they're happening, take deep breaths, and do your best to let your neck and shoulders go slack and relax those muscles. Sit down and close your eyes if it helps. But rest assured, the attacks don't last, they all pass :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline theelt712

• Queen Cardiochondria
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »
I don't get this feeling when I am not doing a lot of activity...something of note.
Bookmark and Share
Queen Cardiochondria.

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 06:41:01 PM »
Doesn't matter, you may be focusing on it and LOOKING for it when you are doing activity.  I'd get to feeling like I had to keep taking deep breaths and I'd start trembling when I'd do physical work because I kept thinking of it.  When I'd do something and TOTALLY forget about it it wouldn't happen.  (and I mean after it was all over I'd look back and say, "HEY!   That didn't happen!")
Bookmark and Share

Tags: