Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: strep throat, low immune system?  (Read 305 times)

Offline dontfeellikemyself

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
strep throat, low immune system?
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:56:20 AM »
Hi guys,

I just acquired strep throat in the past few days and I am very anxious about it. From what I read, strep throat is pretty uncommon in people over the age of 20--does this signify that I have a low immune system?

My anxiety for the past few years is that I am suffering immunity problems, so this recent bout of strep is having me worried. I can't remember the last time I've ever had a sore throat this painful. Also, I can't particularly feel any swollen lymph nodes in my neck but I know that they are probably inflamed if I have strep. Does this mean that my neck has had swollen nodes all the time and I'm just used to it now, so I can't notice now that I'm actually sick?

I hope I don't sound completely insane here, but my anxiety tends to always get the best of me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SuperCalmmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: strep throat, low immune system?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »
Don't worry.. I'm 27 and get Strep throat pretty often (almost  once a year). Doesn't mean that you have low immunity… just drink plenty of fluids and get rest. Are you on antibiotics?
I have a tendency to look my symptoms up on the internet as well, but its best not to do that. My doctor always yells at me for googling, and I feel that is what feeds my anxiety.. Hang in there, you will be okay!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline SuperCalmmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 12:39:54 PM »
PS… I have it right now, too!   :P
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance, SuperCalm. I'm not on antibiotics yet---would it be possible for this to go away on its own? I have whole separate issues with antibiotics..
Bookmark and Share

Offline mydogisnamedslippy

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »
Hey hey!

1. Are you sure what you have is deffinitly strep? Like was it diagnosed by a doctor, or does your throat just hurt a lot so you assume it's strep? Can you see white spots on your throat?

2. Obviously, I am NOT going to say with certainty to not take antibiotics, I am not a doctor etc..., however I did have strep as well earlier this winter and was prescribed antibiotics and didn't take them and it totally went away. Just drank a lot of echinacea tea etc... I totally understand your fear of antibiotics...Personally I try not to take them unless its 100% necessary.

Dogslippy
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 03:30:38 PM »
Hi Dogslippy,

A doc hasn't confirmed but I highly suspect it is strep. Severe, sudden throat pain, red tonsils (can also see some red spots), headache, nausea, no real cold symptoms.

I'm also in the same boat as you where I try not to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, but I've read some scary stuff about strep causing possible health complications?

Can I ask how long it took for you to get rid of it completely?
Bookmark and Share

Offline SuperCalmmm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:01:38 PM »
Im on an antibiotic for it now… if you are really uncomfortable I would go to a doctor and just have it checked out.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: