Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What does shortness of breath feel like from hyperventilation?  (Read 262 times)

Offline playmaker093

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What does shortness of breath feel like from hyperventilation?
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »
Is anyone aware of what this would feel like opposed to shortness of breath from another cause, and any other symptoms that surround it.  I read an article a long time ago that my rational mind finally remembered about hyperventilation causing issues.  Recently my panic attacks have struck back after a decent time without panic attacks and for whatever reason I yawn all the time.  I would say when anxious, I yawn two to three times a minute.  I think that would obviously fall into the line of hyperventilation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: What does shortness of breath feel like from hyperventilation?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 02:10:09 AM »
From what I understand about my own hyperventilation experience, is that a person aware of it won't consciously do it. In other words, if you're hyperventilating, you're in such a panic attack that you don't realize you're doing it. I've only done it twice, I think. My mom (RN for almost 40 years) explained that it is basically rapid breathing where you start inhaling your own carbon monoxide. I've never researched it.

When I had my very first anxiety/panic attack on 3/18/13, I went to the ER and they took me straight to the back, laid me down, and a nurse immediately began giving me instructions on how to breath. I wasn't aware that I was having a panic attack, like others here, I thought it was a stroke or heart attack, something way more serious. After I calmed down and all the tests were ran, they explained that I was hyperventilating when I came in. I had no idea. The nurse also said that she felt it caused my acid reflux to flare up, based on the chest and stomach x rays they took.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: What does shortness of breath feel like from hyperventilation?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:08:48 AM »
I have experienced TWO kinds - one is I have to keep taking deep breaths (which I think feeds it even more) the other is a smothering sensation, like someone has their hand over your mouth and nose and/or is kind of putting a heavy weight on your chest.  You feel like you have to go near an open window to get air.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: