Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Do you think hypochondriacs live longer or shorter lives ?  (Read 245 times)

Offline skywizzard

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Do you think hypochondriacs live longer or shorter lives ?
« on: February 17, 2014, 06:33:19 PM »
I was just reading some scientific articles stating that streas might decrease life span/increase chance of developing serious illness. So i was wondering if you guys think this is true especially in context of hypochondria ?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do you think hypochondriacs live longer or shorter lives ?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:44:29 PM »
Stress probably affects our bodies in negative way. Should you then stress about being stressed ? No point really...

Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 07:27:18 PM »
I often wondered this - yes, stress can shorten lives, BUT...  hypochondriacs are hyper aware of their bodies and it's functioning (wouldn't HYPERchondriac fit better?)   ;D
I've known a woman was bleeding post menopause and thought it's nothing (she ended up with stage IV ovarian cancer), but if I even had a DROP of blood I'd be on the phone with the gyno.  We may live longer because we'll catch things earlier (cancer anyway)
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrambleRamble93

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:42:19 PM »
I read an article as well that said people who worry about their health live shorter lives.  I feel like it would be the opposite because we(hypochondriacs) get every little sneeze, cough, bump, ect checked out.  But I suppose we can be more stressed which may lead to an early death.  (But everyones stressed).
Bookmark and Share
If you put water into a cup it becomes the cup, if you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle, if you put it into a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash.  Be water my friend.  - Bruce Lee

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
Statistics can be turned anyway the presenter wants them so I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

My Grandpa has lived an incredibly stressful life, so stressful he had a heart attack in his early 40s.  He's gone on to bury a wife and two daughters.  At the age of 90, he still lives alone and has more energy than me on some days.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 12:55:55 AM »
Stress can have a profound effect on the body - particularly a negative one and especially if it is long term. I have no doubt that being stressed chronically (perhaps more than a year) will shorten lifespan. I actually am one of those who stress about being stressed. However, like what was previously mentioned, hypochondriacs are super sensitive when it comes to their own bodies. So if a person with hypochondriasis did have a serious illness, they will more likely catch it early - and therefore will increase their chance of curing it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 01:59:41 AM »
How can a lifelong smoker live to their 80s?
How can a lifelong drinker live to 100?
How can someone survive with cancer for X amount of years?
What about someone chronically overweight?
Someone with alarmingly high cholesterol?
How about those who live close to oil refineries? (me)

I've come to accept that we're all wired differently and that each of us is granted X amount of years on this planet. No amount of caution or care promises an extension of that time. Sure, there's things we can do to shorten it (drive drunk, while texting, for example)... but to say that stress alone will shorten one's life is a difficult fact to prove. Each of us has a lot of other factors to consider.

I'm not a fan of this topic. Yes, it's a fact that stress is hard on the body and can have detrimental health effects. But so do a TON of other things. Which is why we still eat chocolate, drink sodas, smoke cigarettes, etc. Can stress alone kill an otherwise healthy individual who doesn't engage in anything else detrimental to his/her life? I don't think anybody can answer that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 05:32:23 AM »
Well because I have no actual scientific data, I will choose to think hypochondriacs live longer :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: