Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Any useful tips?  (Read 97 times)

Offline ellislou92

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
Any useful tips?
« on: February 17, 2014, 03:09:32 PM »
I only quite recently began to have panic attacks as a result of my anxiety. Usually there is no specific trigger but they seem to happen in public and in places that are quite crowded (stations, transport etc.). I've found that distracting myself by playing a game on my phone or listening to music and singing the words in my head can often delay the panic or help it to subside. Do any of you have any ways you are able to sort of control how intense the anxiety is? I mean I can usually fare when I feel a bit anxious but when it gets so bad I have a full on panic attack I feel mortified. I'm willing to try any suggested techniques - I can't avoid going out in public so any ideas would be great! Thanks guys. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Any useful tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 02:44:16 AM »
Hi ellis, I thought I'd throw out some ideas.  Deep breathing is often good to control panic.
And just looking at your situation to evaluate if there's really anything to be worried about.  Usually not.

Also I find its good to do physical exercise in the morning.  For me jumping jacks and running in place
gets the blood flowing and relaxes me.  Envisioning the world as a loving, welcoming place.

Doing affirmations.  "There's nothing to be afraid of.  Nothing will come up that I can't handle.  Have an amazing day."
These work for me.

Also I do buddhist chanting:  Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.  For wisdom, courage, calm, joy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ellislou92

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »
Hi Worldbeat. Thanks for this I'll look up the techniques. I exercise morning and night so that works temporarily for me but not throughout the day. Thanks for the rest, I'm not always very positive so reassuring myself could lead to improvements.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:44:43 PM »

Hi ellis, I think you're on the right track to be looking for tips for improvement.  Too often I think when we get anxious
we just focus on the problems.  Which can be useful.  But it's important to move toward wellness and anxiety management.

When I get into work, I'm the first one there.  Sometimes I do jumping jacks in the office too.
And there's a woman I work with who also does buddhist chanting.  So today she asked if we could
repeat the chant together for a short while.  So we did it when no one is around.  I think for me it's always
important to look for ways to have fun.  And express love and kindness to people.  And to strive to have
a really great day.

I have a good circle of friends, but when I'm going thru challenges, I think it's important to have an ally or two.
Someone that I feel very comfortable with, maybe someone who has been in my situation.  I think I need to
find such an ally.  I know many people on the site have wives and husbands.  That must be a bit helpful.
But I am single, so an ally could be cool.  Even an online one.

Bookmark and Share

Offline AlyAmy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 04:01:11 PM »
Hi  :action-smiley-065:

I've started doing craft projects and ive found that its kind of helping me relax, it puts my mind on other things. At the moment im sewing a set of throw cushions for my bed, it helps to have something to focus on. x
Bookmark and Share

Tags: