Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: colonoscopy - one week from today...of course, i'm nervous  (Read 469 times)

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
colonoscopy - one week from today...of course, i'm nervous
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:42:14 AM »
hi
so, finally after putting it off for almost a year, my colonoscopy is scheduled for one week from today.
i'm getting so nervous.  I had 2 benign polyps at my last colonoscopy, which was almost 6 years ago. I have a history of Breast cancer, so i got the colonoscopy because of the possible connection between the two cancers. i was 43 then, and am 49 now.

one reason i'm more nervous than i would be, is because for the past year, i have had some tenderness in my pelvic area. it is on the left side, in the area right where my ovary would be(if i still had ovaries, but i don't).  i did have surgery in that general area, twice, due to my breast cancer reconcstruction and my hysterectomy. it is a "pain" type thing that is really  mild. it comes and goes. it is more like a discomfort than a pain really. i've also lost weight in the past year. not trying.  and i have been having some attacks of diarrhea that i didn't before. probably happens to me once a month or every other month. 

anyway, i don't google, so i don't know the signs of colon cancer, but i'm hoping these are not symptoms. i will find out in one week i suppose.  so, any reassurance i can get to get me through would be appreciated.

thanks guys

Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: colonoscopy - one week from today...of course, i'm nervous
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:03:20 AM »
I think you'll be fine. Worst case scenario they find more benign polyps, colon cancer is very slow growing - and you're so young! I've had two scopes myself (was dx'd with colitis - then told I didn't have it w/2nd scope, I'm 36) anywho, I think the prep is the worst part - no seeds, nothing red or purple! It's great you get your results right away. I wish you the best of luck, please give us an update.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:05:23 AM »
Hi reece,
     I just had a colonoscopy on December 27, 2013 and I too had vague symptoms beforehand and I too was
worried. In fact, my GI physician told me that everyone pretty much gets worried, so you are not alone in your
thinking. As you are aware, us HA sufferers attribute any symptom to the worst case possible outcome. Good luck and
I am confident all will work out in your favor. I had Osmoprep for my prep and those pills have a delayed reaction, but
when they hit, look out below!!!!!!

Marc
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:27:04 AM »
I had one in 2012 and have one friday. I am nervous to that they will find more polyps. Thinking of you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:02:39 AM »
thanks everyone...the weight loss, diarhhea attacks and vague discomfort on one side keep me very nervous. (not to mention my own breast cancer history)

i am trying to not be too anxious until i the day arrives.
it's hard though. deep inside i'm really really scared.

brick-hope it goes well tomorrow. i know you are anxious, but you had one in 2012, and so i know it will be fine.

any more reassurance would be welcome :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 03:37:57 PM »
getting really nervous now....the test is on monday.... :dazed:
i hope that cancer didn't grow in the past 6 years...
Bookmark and Share

Offline thorn054

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »
Hey Reese - I'm a new guy on this site and your post really struck a cord with me as I'm going through the same thing.  I'm 45 and I'm having my first colonoscopy on Monday the 24th as well.  I've been having some symptoms too so needless to say....I'm very worried too.  I hate this helpless feeling and I can't help but let my mind obsess over this.  I'm just trying to get through the weekend (and the prep--which starts on Sunday...ugh).  If it helps, there will be someone who is feeling the exact way as you going through this on the same day.  I wish you well - keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »
I just had mine. The anesthesia is the absolute best. The prep is the worst. My advice is drink it through a straw. Which prep do both of yall have?
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 09:50:42 AM »
thorn, it is nice to know i'm not alone! hope everything goes well. i will have my computer with me in the bathroom, maybe we can chat! LOL

brick, how did it go? hope all is well.

i start my prep tonight(saturday night)with a bottle of citrate of magnesium. i had asked the secretary if i could have a beer tonight and she said yes, just no red wine. i knew i would need it to calm my anxiety! now, i'm scared to mix alcohol and citrate of magnesium. so, now i'm frthis eaking out.
i have to drink it tonight at 7pm. was just planning on relaxing on the deck with a beer around 5 or 6pm. just one or two, nothing more.  i wasn't planning on having any after i drink the magnesium. just water to make sure i'm not dehydrated.  what do you think? i will be bummed if i can't enjoy this weekend at least a little.

then tomorrow i drink the other stuff around 2pm. split dose(miralax)then again around 2am monday morning. my procecure is at 9am

anyone done this? i'm scared of the prep. what if i die from it? i only weigh 90 pounds....this sux.

am i going to be ok?
Bookmark and Share

Offline thorn054

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »
Reese - I hear you on the beer.  I had a couple last night because I was so wound up over this Monday.  I actually start my prep tomorrow afternoon so yeah--it'll be a long day in the bathroom.  A chat just might be in order haha!  I guess you're starting your prep a little earlier because your test is at 9:00 a.m. and mine doesn't start until 12:00 (at least that's when I'm supposed to show up there so it'll probably be closer to 1:00 pm before things really happen).  I'm trying to relax but man the wait just feels like mental torture.  I keep counting down....okay in 48 hours I'll be getting ready to leave for the clinic...etc...etc..  I'm driving myself nuts with this whole thing.  Do you know what kind of anesthesia you'll be getting?  I'm getting propophol which is supposedly a good way to go.  I'm nervous about going under....it's been a while since I've done it. 

As far as your prep goes, I'm more than confident that your doctor has accounted for your weight.  If he had concerns, he would have gone a different route.  My daughter had to have one of these and she doesn't weigh much either.  Things went well for her and she had no issues with it so I'm sure you're going to be fine.  Take that concern out of the equation altogether.  Just keep yourself hydrated well. 

Brick5711 - my prep consists of taking 2 Dulcolax tablets at 3:00 pm tomorrow, followed by 238g of Miralax with Gatoraide at 5:00 pm then 2 more Dulcolax tablets at 7:00.  Then I guess it's blast-off.  What was your prep and what kind of anesthesia did you get when they knocked you out?  More importantly, how did your test go?  I hope your results were good!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »
I had an internal hemorrhoid but no new polyps were found. Thank God. He did take some biopsies from a lipooma. Praying those come back fine as well. I did get the no cancer phrase this time unlike last time. I am not sure which anesthesia I had but it was amazing. Last year I had halflytle and this time I had moviprep. Both are prescription. My doctor doesnt believe in miralax and gatorade. Let me tell you moviprep works within ten minutes. I didn't start mine till the night before. I also didn't eat for 48 hours before. Not per doctors orders but I wanted to make sure he could see everything. I wouldn't worry aout the wait thing either reece. My son will have to have one when he is twelve
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »
so, i am so nervous. i got stuck at the soccer field and had not had any dinner, (or lunch). i was supposed to do my first part of the prep tonight(who the heck has heard of that?!?!). tonight is 7pm a bottle of citrate of magnesium. 
well, i called the dr on call and said i wasn't going to be able to be home at 7pm, and i hadn't eaten. i didn't want to eat, then take the laxative right after, ya know? 
he was not my dr.. but said i could do the magnesium in the morning, just be sure to drink alot and hydrate.
now i'm scared because i'm not really doing what my dr said.
i'm nervous that it will be too much on my system to do all in one day. but, i'm having a beer and thinking, well that's dumb. alcohol can dehydrate you, so i don't want to take the laxative tonight.

ugh.
does anyone know what the magnesium will do? is it a bowel buster? or mild?

i'm so dreading all this. and to top it off, i'm sure that i have something wrong. probably colon cancer. or they will say, you have polyps(again)and not be able to tell if they are benign or something ....ugh.ugh.ugh.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »
I always start my prep the night before. Not the night before the night before. I wouldnt eat a whole lot if i were you though. Honey, my polyp was abnormal shaped, bleeding, BIG. And they could tell. Doctors are pretty good about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 08:24:02 PM »
yeah i ate light. mostly rice.  i'm gonna have my 1.5 beers and then drink water. then go to bed early.one i know every starts the prep 2 nights prior!! i think it's horrible to do it that way. ruins 2 days instead of one. anyway, the dr on call said i could do it, so if it was that dangerous,  he wouldn't have said that. i think i'll just get up at 6am and drink the magnesium.  i just have to drink alot of water. 
i'm so scared of the prep this time. the what if's. (what if i am allergic to it, what if i dehydrate, what if i explode! LOL)
last time, i wasn't scared of the prep, so this is new anxiety.  sux
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 07:35:51 AM »
going now to the dr.
hope i'm all clean and clear.
have a huge headache, which i'm sure is dehydration.
it'll all be over soon. hopefully it won't just be the beginning....  :sprachlos020:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: