Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: colonoscopy - one week from today...of course, i'm nervous  (Read 744 times)

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: colonoscopy - one week from today...of course, i'm nervous
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »
I had an internal hemorrhoid but no new polyps were found. Thank God. He did take some biopsies from a lipooma. Praying those come back fine as well. I did get the no cancer phrase this time unlike last time. I am not sure which anesthesia I had but it was amazing. Last year I had halflytle and this time I had moviprep. Both are prescription. My doctor doesnt believe in miralax and gatorade. Let me tell you moviprep works within ten minutes. I didn't start mine till the night before. I also didn't eat for 48 hours before. Not per doctors orders but I wanted to make sure he could see everything. I wouldn't worry aout the wait thing either reece. My son will have to have one when he is twelve
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Rec's: 13
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »
so, i am so nervous. i got stuck at the soccer field and had not had any dinner, (or lunch). i was supposed to do my first part of the prep tonight(who the heck has heard of that?!?!). tonight is 7pm a bottle of citrate of magnesium. 
well, i called the dr on call and said i wasn't going to be able to be home at 7pm, and i hadn't eaten. i didn't want to eat, then take the laxative right after, ya know? 
he was not my dr.. but said i could do the magnesium in the morning, just be sure to drink alot and hydrate.
now i'm scared because i'm not really doing what my dr said.
i'm nervous that it will be too much on my system to do all in one day. but, i'm having a beer and thinking, well that's dumb. alcohol can dehydrate you, so i don't want to take the laxative tonight.

ugh.
does anyone know what the magnesium will do? is it a bowel buster? or mild?

i'm so dreading all this. and to top it off, i'm sure that i have something wrong. probably colon cancer. or they will say, you have polyps(again)and not be able to tell if they are benign or something ....ugh.ugh.ugh.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »
I always start my prep the night before. Not the night before the night before. I wouldnt eat a whole lot if i were you though. Honey, my polyp was abnormal shaped, bleeding, BIG. And they could tell. Doctors are pretty good about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 08:24:02 PM »
yeah i ate light. mostly rice.  i'm gonna have my 1.5 beers and then drink water. then go to bed early.one i know every starts the prep 2 nights prior!! i think it's horrible to do it that way. ruins 2 days instead of one. anyway, the dr on call said i could do it, so if it was that dangerous,  he wouldn't have said that. i think i'll just get up at 6am and drink the magnesium.  i just have to drink alot of water. 
i'm so scared of the prep this time. the what if's. (what if i am allergic to it, what if i dehydrate, what if i explode! LOL)
last time, i wasn't scared of the prep, so this is new anxiety.  sux
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 07:35:51 AM »
going now to the dr.
hope i'm all clean and clear.
have a huge headache, which i'm sure is dehydration.
it'll all be over soon. hopefully it won't just be the beginning....  :sprachlos020:
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
UPDATE: Re: colonoscopy - one week from today...of course, i'm nervous
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
i'm back from my colonoscopy. i was clear enough so that was good. they found a polyp, which he thinks is precancerous. not what i wanted to hear.  he removed it. it was really small, .5mm(however big that is). he said it is NOT cancer, but they do send it off. he is certain that it is not. (wish i was). anyone else had a precancerous polyp? he says he removes them in about 1/3 of his patients, but not usually as young as me(almost 49).

i'm glad though that i didn't have a big mass where my "tender spot" was. the polyp was not even on that side. he said i probably have scar tissue from my other surgeries, that causes a pulling sensation on the colon.

so, i'm good. a tiny precancerous polyp is nothing...right. go back in 5 years. and this time I WILL NOT PUT IT OFF A YEAR. I WILL NOT PUT IT OFF A YEAR.
Bookmark and Share

Offline everette

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »
glad to hear that all is well.
This is great news for you and for me. I am 48 years old.
I go tomorrow to meet with the doc that is going to do my colonoscopy and I guess set the date.

From what I understand it takes a polyp a long time (I think 10 years) to grow in to anything.

So by removing that one you don't have to worry about that turning into anything and you should be good to go for a long time.

Glad all is well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thorn054

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »
Reese - I'm glad that your procedure went well and that you do not have cancer.  These pre-cancerous polyps get removed all of the time so thankfully, you went in and got it taken care of before it turned into something really serious.  What did you think of the procedure itself?  I just got back from my first colonoscopy a few hours ago (I had many symptoms--including passing blood) and my results were good too.  Nothing serious whatsoever and NO cancer thankfully.  Other than the prep, I though the procedure was great.  The propofol that they gave me knocked me right out and I woke up as they were wheeling me to recovery about 25 minutes later.  I couldn't believe it was over!  I won't be afraid of this procedure again and I will be rescheduling another one in about 5-years just to be safe. 

Everett - glad to hear that you're going in for yours.  Do not delay--especially if you have any symptoms.  This is an easy procedure and you'll be glad that you did it--especially for the peace of mind. 

Here's to good health!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: