Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Weight Loss?  (Read 160 times)

Offline Burney

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Weight Loss?
« on: February 17, 2014, 07:41:46 AM »
Hi guys,

So approximately 7-8 months ago I convinced myself I had bowel cancer. For the past 3-4 years I had always been 60ishkg (132lb) but after 1-2 months of increasing anxiety and a diminished appetite I weighed myself. To my horror I had dropped down to 50kg (110lb). During the 1-2 months prior to this I had been eating 1-2 small meals a day (whatever I could force down). After having a colonoscopy and being given the all-clear, I have slowly managed to gain back half of the weight I lost. I'm currently sitting on 55kg (122lb) and it's been really difficult for me to accept that the explanation for my inability to gain weight is anxiety, rather than a more serious underlying problem. Whenever I googled (bad, I know!), it would suggest that weight loss like that, without an explanation, could be cancerous. I've gone to my doctor, had blood work done (kidney & liver function good, blood count normal, slightly low iron, thyroid fine, no diabetes) and my doctor doesn't seem to be concerned. Just looking for a wee bit of reassurance about whether or not other people have struggled to put weight back on after intense periods of health-related anxiety. :)

Thank you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weight Loss?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »
Whenever I googled (bad, I know!), it would suggest that weight loss like that, without an explanation, could be cancerous.

You have an explanation for your weight loss:

...after 1-2 months of increasing anxiety and a diminished appetite I weighed myself. To my horror I had dropped down to 50kg (110lb). During the 1-2 months prior to this I had been eating 1-2 small meals a day (whatever I could force down).

Your anxiety and change in diet is clearly the cause. You ate less for 2 months and lost weight, no real surprise there!

You are fine. Live your life, and be happy!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:47:53 PM »
And start eating... :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Burney

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:58:32 PM »
Thank you!!

I know it has an explanation but I always freak out when I think about the other 10lbs I haven't put back on. I was doing really well until about a week ago :(

Thank you for the reassurance :) :) :) I actually feel a lot better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:57:31 AM »
Last summer I was both highly stressed & worried about all sorts of cancers and also I was trying to eat healthy to keep cancers away lol :)

I lost around 3kg (7lbs) which doesn't sound like a lot but it is a lot for me because I'm normally quite thin at 54kg (119lbs) and 169cm (5ft6). Now at 51kg I was scary looking, my clothes were all baggy and depressing. I was severely obsessed with cancers and had bad insomnia, didn't sleep well. When I realized that I lost weight I was convinced that I had a cancer. And I started to eat more - but surprisingly, I couldn't put back ANY weight, not even 1lb. I was eating normally, like before the weight loss, I even started eating more unhealthy foods, caloric bombs - but nothing. I couldn't put weight on.

I finally managed to gain back the 7lbs in December, on Christmas, when anxiety faded a bit and I could relax at home. I remember I ate A LOT of chocolates and cookies. Boxes of chocolate went down my throat. And all the greasy food that I could put my hands on. I finally gained the 7lbs back and now they seem to stick around, although I eat much less.

I'm trying to control my anxiety. Anxiety can increase the metabolism and gaining & keeping weight becomes really difficult.

I suggest you start with a box of chocolates and a relaxing movie.
Bookmark and Share