Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Colonoscopy Tomorrow  (Read 265 times)

Offline littlered89

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Colonoscopy Tomorrow
« on: February 17, 2014, 12:27:06 AM »
Hi Everyone. I am having my first colonoscopy tomorrow afternoon. I've completed the prep for tonight and will be doing more in the morning. I'm just absolutely terrified about the results. I've had IBS-like symptoms for over ten years and have always feared colon cancer. After seeing specks of blood on my stool recently, I decided to finally get the colonoscopy. I'm so nervous that it's going to be cancer and have been Googling obsessively for the past few weeks finding stories about young people with colon cancer (I'm 24). Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for some support and comfort with this anxiety. Thank you :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worry2Much

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Colonoscopy Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:15:48 AM »
Being someone who has these same fears I understand where you are coming from.
 :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexac11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 03:39:30 AM »
Hi :)

I also suffer from ibs like symptoms, and they flare up on and off and have done so since I was 17, so 9 years. One of the biggest symptoms I have when it flares is extreme cramping, so of course I had myself convinced that I had ovarian cancer/cervical cancer/colon cancer. Turns out it was plain and simple ibs 

Ibs can often cause haemorrhoids (internal or external) which can bleed during the bowl movement. These are common causes for red blood to be seen in stools. Also, the strain caused by ibs can cause tears to be create and reopen.

The colposcopy will help get to the bottom of it, but I feel quite confident that it won't be serious. If it's been consistent for so many years, I doubt its something very serious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline littlered89

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 04:58:31 AM »
Thanks for your response! It helps to hear from someone else who has similar symptoms. Right now I'm struggling with the prep for the colonoscopy. I had been doing ok and finished all the prep for tonight but I woke up after about two hours of sleep to horrible nausea and dry heaving which has been awful. I just want this all to be over. Between the prep and the anxiety, I feel like a wreck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:55:28 AM »
i work for gastroenterology and it seems every patient has the same fear as you. So that fear is actually normal to have. You probably just have internal hemorrhoids. Maybe a fissure if you are on the constipated side. If you are totally irregular, alternating between constipation and diarrhea, they will say you need to be on miralax (that is recommended for both constipation and diarrhea). For cramping, they can prescribe bentyl, but that takes a full 3 months before it desensitizes the nerves enough to not feel cramping. THey will say local hygeine care and plain white toilet paper. You don't have colon cancer. I would bet a million bucks on it. I doubt you have diverticulosis either. And i doubt you have any inflammatory condition going on either. The best thing you can do for yourself is eat clean, whole foods and keep it diverse, avoid preservatives. Lots of vegetables, low fat, low sodium. Healthy fats are good such as avocado and extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin unrefined coconut oil. Exercise daily, nothing strenuous, just like a 20 minute walk a few times per day. Develop proper sleep routine. You will be fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:26:10 AM »
Odds are you will be fine, but it should be checked. Come back to us with the results and then for future, stop Googling. Nothing good comes out of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 06:49:23 AM »
Good luck. I remember when I was 25, which was quite some time ago, I went to the bathroom and
the whole toilet bowl was filled with bright red blood. When I wiped, the toilet paper was also filled with blood.
It turned out to be a hemorrhoid. I remember I had a major meltdown and thought I was doomed.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 07:16:18 AM »
I have one friday. I am 23. It will be my second. Ater the prep the worst is over. When you wake up you will have the results and I am sure it will be minor. Thinking of you!
Odds are you will be fine, but it should be checked. Come back to us with the results and then for future, stop Googling. Nothing good comes out of it.

Hypo is right. Nothing good comes from googling except fear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Burney

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 07:17:52 AM »
Just a few words of encouragement.

I was 21 when I had my first colonoscopy. I was CERTAIN it was bowel cancer, particularly since I had lost a lot of weight, my family has a history of bowel cancer and had IBS systems in the months leading up to it. (I lost 20 pounds in 2-3 months). Howeverrr it turned out to be nothing, no cancer to be found. I was convinced I had seen blood in my stool, however upon reflection I realised it was sun dried tomato and the weight loss was due to eating as little as 1-2 small meals a day for a month.

7 months on and my IBS has settled down, as well as gaining 10 of the 20 pounds I lost back! :)

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about and you'll feel a lot more relaxed tonight.

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline littlered89

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »
Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate the advice and kind words. I did finally get some sleep last night and now I'm supposed to start on my second round of prep (totally dreading that). I'm trying my best to stay positive about it, but of course, it's tricky with anxiety. I will post later to let everyone know how it goes though!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 05:41:53 PM »
How did it go?
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 06:59:01 PM »
I had much much worse symptoms than you that would come and go for 10 years before I got my first scope at age 31. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Had another scope 2 years later, I had changed my diet and did all natural treatments, colitis gone! Anywho, at your age CC would be practically unheard of, there are a lot of other things that could cause your symptoms. Best of luck, you're almost there! The drugs are GREAT and you'll have a diagnosis by the time you wake up. Update us please.
Bookmark and Share

Offline littlered89

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 07:03:16 PM »
The colonoscopy went well! All they found were some hemmeroids but everything else looked normal. I was so nervous but I didn't even remember the procedure. Thanks again for all of the support. It is so nice to know that there are other anxious people out there just like me. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 08:40:53 PM »
I've had stomach issues for years. Crohn's and colitis run in my family and I finally saw a stomach doctor because I had trouble digesting, would get bad diarrhea and occasionally light bleeding on the toilet tissue. He did an endo and colonoscopy. The colonoscopy was clean. He found nothing and he only found gastritis on my endo (And this was due to me eating gluten to test for celiacs.)  He eventually had to diagnose me with GERD and IBS because he could find nothing else.

I wouldn't worry too much. The blood is probably a hemorrhoid or a fissure. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: