Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: walmart  (Read 399 times)

Offline Jason293117

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
walmart
« on: February 16, 2014, 10:15:16 PM »
I know the subject title can take us just about  anywhereany direction possible lol. The past couple of weeks i have made some pretty big changes in my life trying to find the man i once was, ive been feeling pretty good for the most part, i still have my moments, they just seemed to have become less lately... so i thought. I decided to venture to walmart today to get some stuff for my boat just a few things short quick and simple. As soon as i walked in i felt the tension building up, i see everyone, feel eyes looking at me, i feel crowded. Thats normal for me, so i keep walking on finding my way through the isles, avoiding the main walkways where you always get cutoff or brushef against. I found a couple of the things i was searching for fairly quickly and made my way back up front to cashout. This is where it got different, i got in line as usual, standing there i literally started sweating, i could feel my forehead starting to bead, heat seemed to come in waves, i could feel my heart beating. I tell myself to relax and it just doesnt work. I walked out. Just left. Yesterday a friend picked me up to do some car shopping, i found a truck bought it and was happy and feeling good, we went to his house afterward to hang out and drink a beer and it was good. An hour goes by i dont start feeling anxious, i start feeling quite sad, when there wasnt anything to be sad about. I went out on his back porch and sat by myself. Eventually he came out and asked if i wanted to leave and i said yes. Quite rude of me i know, i cant help it. I have such high highs and such low lows, how do you find the happy medium? How can you find your comfort zone when nothing makes sense? Where do you turn when noone gets it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: walmart
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:11:05 PM »
My best advice is to avoid retail environments on weekends, first and 15th of the month, and holidays. The stores are generally packed and theres a "rush" in the air. People tend to shop in a hurry and that does have an effect on us. I've had my anxiety flare up shopping at 2am when theres NOBODY in the store.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jason293117

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:57:26 AM »
Thanks for the advice clipper but thats what ive been doing, avoiding.  I think that might be making it worse. I havnt always been this way, its getting increasingly worse, im trying to convince myself to force myself into the situations, retrain my brain. Ive always had internal anxiety in these situations and ive always pushed through them. Last night was different it was very physical and qiite intense. I must find the brain power to overcome this, there must be a way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 07:35:12 AM »
I'll latch onto "retraining the brain." This can be done with a therapist, with meds for some, sometimes with CBT and all its aspects.

Some people are hyper socialized from a very young age. So reconditioning the brain is not a simple matter. Takes work, effort, persistence, patience, but can be accomplished. It can be an adventure of discovery for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 11:57:25 AM »
Thanks for the advice clipper but thats what ive been doing, avoiding.  I think that might be making it worse. I havnt always been this way, its getting increasingly worse, im trying to convince myself to force myself into the situations, retrain my brain. Ive always had internal anxiety in these situations and ive always pushed through them. Last night was different it was very physical and qiite intense. I must find the brain power to overcome this, there must be a way.

I worked in retail in many different positions from stocker to store manager, and everything in between. Some of the big stores can even be hard on people who don't suffer anxiety. Maybe try shopping at a smaller store at n off peak time (6 to 9 am perhaps?) to build up your reassurance?
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »
I went to walmart the other day and just the parking lot was a nightmare. They're doing construction and there aren't many spaces as a result. I backed out and another person started backing out shortly after me, two cars were waiting for our spaces and people were walking by with carts and little kids on either side. Ultimately, I just pulled back into my spot and let the other person pull out of theirs, and this was during the middle of the afternoon on a Tuesday.

I've just come to the conclusion, if something exists somewhere else, I'm going to shop there, and it's possible to buy everything you need at other places. It means you have to drive around a little, but it's worth it to me.

Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Tags: