Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone ever experienced this, random word popped into head? Please help.  (Read 467 times)

Offline bmr86

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Title really says it all,  I am also terrified of schizophrenia, this is an extreme fear with me. I have to admit, it has gotten MUCH better, however something strange happened to me and of course I am looking for reassurance because I've read far too much about schizophrenia. A random, nonsensical word just popped into my head tonight. Granted, I was watching TV, reading/posing on a makeup forum and my mind was racing as it usually does. It could have been a combo of stimuli, and I could have just had a random jumble of words. This word was something I've never heard before, it was definitely a thought though, something my mind just spewed out. I have been diagnosed as the "pure O" OCD, and I will be starting CBT soon. Of course my mind is convincing me that it's schiz because of the "word salad, neologism" symptom. Any advice, any others experienced this? I am starting a new job tomorrow so my anxiety is a little keyed up. Please help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone ever experienced this, random word popped into head? Please help.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:31:12 AM »
What that probably was is a word you DID hear at some time.  You may not have been conscious of it at the time but your subconscious "heard" it and recalled it.  Maybe when you "heard" that word the first time you were let's say sitting at your computer with a cup of coffee posting on your make up forum, so that group of actions triggered that subconsciously heard word to surface.  Not schizophrenia by any means.
Totally normal for anyone, it's not even an OCD or anxiety symptom.

Kind of what dreams are.  For instance one day I passed a house with a bunch of cops on the porch, earlier that day I saw smoke coming from somewhere, the day before I saw my tire went flat...   my dream the 3'rd night was that I was driving and passed a house on fire with all cops there trying to put the fire out (yes, cops, not firemen), and I stopped up the road and saw that I had 4 flat tires.   The subconscious takes in random bits of info and spits them out either logically or illogically.  Either in a dream or in thoughts that pop into your head.

Hope you had a good first day at the new job! :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluecanary

• ...in the outlet by the light switch
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »
I don't think this is unusual at all. I can understand your schizophrenia fears - I have them too! - but I've had random words pop into my head before, and I think we've all made up words from time to time. The fact that you recognize the word is nonsense is a pretty good sign that you're still maintaining a solid grip on rationality. It'd be different if you were running around constantly throwing out nonsense words and weren't making sense in your conversations with other people. I don't have any personal experience with schizophrenia, but from what I've heard, if you were developing it, other people would be noticing, not you.

Hope your new job is going well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryan1788

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
That is not unusual whatsoever. Its completely normal with pure ocd. I have pure o also and it has ruined my life. I had the fear of schiz BAD over this past summer and I almost took myself to a psych ward several times because I truly thought I was on the brink of a psychotic break or developing schiz. It is a typical and VERY common OCD theme and there is nothing to be afraid of. If you were going crazy you would not be aware of it. And random words popping into your head is 100% normal and not "word salad." At the peak of my anxiety that same thing would happen to me all the time and im still here, schiz and psychosis free lol  :spineyes: I still do unfortunately suffer from pure o but my  obsessions have moved else where and im currently obsessing about something new... But I even had random words pop into my head before I fell asleep, it scared the hell out of me because these words were not always in my voice, they sometimes would be random voices that would say these words in my head. But that is gone now luckily and I figured out it was all a part of anxiety and something that happens right before you fall asleep. Anyway keep your chin up, things WILL get better. I have go a lot better even though I still have obsessions and am still a bit depressed from my obsessions but over time you will get much better! I suggest therapy, medication that actually works for you (try a few different ones until you find one you like and your brain responds well to) and a healthy life style. You'll start to feel better over time even if it take a long time. best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: