Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Upcoming trip to Cancun causing EXTREME anxiety. Please help talk me down!  (Read 214 times)

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
So my husband is a salesman for a large company and had top sales last year. He was awarded with an all expenses paid trip to Cancun Mexico. There are other couples going and we are so excited however my anxiety is over the top. We have 4 children ages 7, 5, 4 and 2 so of course leaving them is hard. I am TERRIFIED of flying and the plane crashing. I don't know why because I grew up flying. I fear having a healthy problem on the flight. I fear getting a deadly illness in Mexico. I fear EVERYTHING. I almost think I need medication before this flight. We leave in 2 weeks. How do I enjoy this 4 day trip with my husband and stop focusing on the what ifs?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I would be terrified to leave my child too. That would cause me more anxiety than anything. On the second hand, i would be ecstatic to have four days alone at a romantic resort with my hubby.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Being a die hard aviation enthusiast, I can assure you that you're more likely to get by lightning than the plane crashing. Thats one area where my anxiety doesn't get to me. Today's pilots (especially American pilots) receive more comprehensive training for all types of situations. The aircraft are also safer than ever.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mommabear

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I can totally understand your anxiety about leaving your little ones behind, it would cause me stress too! I'm sure they are going to be looked after well while on your trip :) and it would be a nice break for you too I'm sure. I wouldn't worry about flying, I think its the safest way to travel, and the odds if anything happening are pretty much nil. If you are that nervous could you perhaps take a benzo prior to fliying? That would help you out, make the flight more relaxing for you!! I'm sure you will be just fine, enjoy your trip!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I don't like to push medication, but I had a massive anxiety attack before going on a trip. Klonopin was the only thing that got me on the plane. I didn't need it on the way back.

You're going to mss your kids but you'll have an awesome time!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Thank you so much everyone. Our kids are stating with my parents who live just down the street from us and are very very involved in their lives so I know that will be great. I think my biggest fear is being on that darn plane for 3 hours wondering if its just going to fall out of the sky :/ I am hoping once we are in the plane this eases some. We will be with friends and that might help too. They are leaving their 6 month old also. I know we will have a good time but anxiety is really trying to hold me back. It's an awful  thing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Take some anti-anxiety meds, go on plane and have a nice trip.

There is no "perfect" answer for your problem, 'cause I know you probably know that statistics are on your side, but anxiety doesn't care about that. What you should do is try not to let anxiety interfere with your life which means, you shouldn't cancel trip just because you feel anxious. There is a book with the title : "Feel the fear and do it anyways". That would be my advice to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
One time when I was on a Southwest flight from Baltimore to Phoenix, which is a fairly long
flight, I sat near a Southwest pilot. We talked a bit and he was explaining how safe flights are
today and how they monitor wind shears, which used to pose the greatest risk during flights and how
they avoid them.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I totally understand what you're saying. My husband and I have been on a short cruise, trip to Vegas, etc. (we have 2 small children). Everything always works out fine. Try to focus on having fun and enjoying the moment. It's only 4 days - try to enjoy it! Cancun - wow, you're a lucky woman!! Get some valium for your flight. Enjoy - your husband worked hard for it!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: