Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: White coat hypertension question  (Read 230 times)

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
White coat hypertension question
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:02:51 PM »
I hope someone can answer this and give me some advice regarding white coat hypertension.   I had high blood pressure and was on medication for 15 years, then in August my BP started dropping so I started cutting back on the medication.   Eventually I stopped it.  I have a home monitor and would take a reading about 5 times a week just to make sure it wasn't going up again and it wasn't, it's been real good.  However I have a job that requires a physical every 2 years and your blood pressure MUST be UNDER 140/90 AT THE DOCTORS OFFICE!  That's not going happen as I have that white coat hypertension and get readings in the mid 160's over the mid 90's there!  My physical is coming up in a few months and I can't start taking BP medication just for it to be normal at the doc's, it would get too low in every day life and I'd probably pass out or something.  Anyone have any ideas on how to pass this bp test??
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: White coat hypertension question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »
You can try to get anti-anxiety meds from doctor, like Klonopin etc. and take them before going to physixal. That should calm you down enough.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »
The thing is, it's my GP who DOES my physical (for the state, so he can't do that,  he can't KNOW I'm taking something at that particular time) 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 07:49:15 PM »
Why you can't take anti-anxiety meds when you are going to get blood pressure checked? Anyway, if that is the case, I would ask him what he suggests. You have a well known problem, white coat hypertension, so ask him to tell you his opinion.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 07:58:05 PM »
You know what, maybe that would be the best thing to do, just lay it on the line and be honest with him and my concerns.  I'm sure a doctor wouldn't make me take BP medication simply to lower the pressure at his office....  he MUST have run across this before with people who have physicals for jobs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »
He definitely did. Tell him what your BP is at home, that you have fear of doctors and ask him for advice. He is the best person to give you that. Hope it turns out well
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »
Absolutely be upfront and honest.  Drs deal with this all the time and they can help you.  They know exactly what to do. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:09:18 PM »
You could explain your worry that it will be high in the office. Then maybe they could check it when you get there, and if it's high let you rest for a bit, maybe lay down then check it later?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 05:59:53 AM »
You could explain your worry that it will be high in the office. Then maybe they could check it when you get there, and if it's high let you rest for a bit, maybe lay down then check it later?

There's only one problem with blood pressure that doesn't happen with ANYthing else, and that is if you worry it will be high, it WILL  (not fair, ey?)
If I went in there worried I had a fever I wouldn't automatically jump to 102 degrees, or if I went in there worried about my glucose, it wouldn't fly off the charts in 30 seconds...  but blood pressure?  I maybe COULD lay down an "relax" but as soon as he came back in and that cuff was coming my way, I'd be back up in a second.  (I wouldn't be so upset if it were just a blood pressure check, but getting it below 140/90 means keeping my job and that's why I get so upset).   Maybe there is some "loophole" he could use!  LOL!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 06:52:59 AM »
There are some natural calming anxiety herbs, supplements, etc. I would consult with a natural
pharmacist.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: