Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: TRUE or perceived numbness?  (Read 249 times)

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
TRUE or perceived numbness?
« on: February 16, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »
When a part of your body is truly numb, that means you can't feel anything when you touch it, correct? Perceived numbness would be that it "feels" numb?

If it were caused by a real problem, would it constantly feel numb? It wouldn't get worse randomly?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: TRUE or perceived numbness?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:48:38 PM »
I would think so. I too am having the fleeting numbness feeling, I'll think my calf is numb and I'll quick run something light over it and I feel it normally!  My knee cap is numb though, always numb (I recall injuring it a few years back so I am assuming that is why the knee cap is numb, but on the knee cap I feel NOTHING.  I can pinch it, poke it, put something hot on it and I feel nothing.)  but that fleeting weird numbness? I guess it's just a sensation.  Whether it's a pinched nerve or anxiety I don't know.  I opt for pinched nerve somewhere because when I take a Xanax I will still get that along with some tingling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: TRUE or perceived numbness?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 05:26:13 PM »
When a part of your body is truly numb, that means you can't feel anything when you touch it, correct? Perceived numbness would be that it "feels" numb?
Correct and correct.

If it were caused by a real problem, would it constantly feel numb? It wouldn't get worse randomly?
Kind of depends because it's sort of a matter of definition. True numbness cannot get "worse" randomly because true numbness is real numbness, and you can't really not feel anything worse. You can either feel or it's numb. It is or it isn't. Perceived numbness can worsen, as can loss of sensation, which seems like more the case here than numbness is. Both can get worse, but the with the latter, you aren't likely to see any improvement in it until what's causing it is dealt with.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: