Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Head Cold and Anxiety! What A Combination  (Read 164 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Head Cold and Anxiety! What A Combination
« on: February 16, 2014, 01:53:10 PM »
Hi, well technically I don't suffer from HA, at least not full-blown HA, lol.  I have my moments of analyzing and questioning ailments.  Turning simple issues into the worst case scenarios, you could say. 

Friday I was doing fine during the day, but by evening I started to feel very run down, as you would feel with the flu.  So, I resorted to the couch and pondered what could be wrong with me.  And the things I thought of that could be wrong were quite catastrophic.  Now, I have had a flu shot in October, so I guess I'm covered?.  My husband had a cold a couple of weeks ago, and I thought great I dodged it, but apparently not. 

My symptoms are: no fever, runny nose, a very congested feeling in head and ears, watery eyes, headache, light-headedness, and run down/weak.
The symptom that is making me think the worst is the run/down and weak feeling.  I think I'm equating it to a more serious illness or disease.

Anyway, does anyone have any words or advice to offer?  Thank You So Much for reading :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 51
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Head Cold and Anxiety! What A Combination
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »
I just got over what you are describing . . . the run down feeling is probably your body fighting off the virus . . . I was the same way . . . . if your husband had a cold, probably it came from him . . .as for having a flu shot, well, that might lessen the symptoms but it does not come with a 100% guarantee that you won't get the flu . . . the rule of thumb from my doctor is:  for the first 72 hours, you will feel pretty ugly . . . after the first 72 hours, you should start improving . . . however, during the first 72 hours, if the symptoms escalate beyond what is reasonable such as a fever of 100 F or your're coughing up blood, etc., then get into a doctor . . . after the 72 hours threshold, I began to feel better . . . . I was still fatigued and weak and was coughing up more crap than I thought could exist, but I was feeling better . . . however, in my case, it took about another week or so to feel that I was functioning again . . . it takes a while for the body to combat viruses and then get rid of the used up soldier cells and then to reestablish a balance . . . .my recommendation, unless something else is going on, is rest, fluids (sometimes lightheadedness is a sign of dehydration), eat if you can at least soup . . . as you get to feel a bit better, do get up and move around because muscles get lazy very quickly . . . . .my doc recommends staying away from milk products because they can produce phlegm for some people . . .however, I use being sick as an excuse to pig out on chocolate frozen yogurt . . . for my sore throat (nudge, nudge, nudge) . . .. hope you are feeling better  . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »
Thank You kc!  Well, yesterday I didn't take it too easy...I washed a load of clothes, made breakfast, did dishes, finished crocheting a scarf, and cooked dinner...a whole roasted chicken and eggplant parmesan (I know weird combination :) ) Then did dishes again.  But today I lounged and rested ( I made breakfast, and did dishes though) drank lots of water, and my usual cup or two of green tea. 

I think that is one of my issues in general, not being able to just do nothing.  Although not doing anything but resting is probably the best medicine when under the weather.  I feel like I'm coming out of the worst part of it, today.  I hope I'm even better tomorrow....I have to make a store run!  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline thesilentdiva

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:21:06 AM »
Omg I just got over a cold. The funny thing is usually when I have a cold I don't have my anxiety at all. But this cold was different. And just like you the rundown feeling and for me the light headed feeling had me on edge the whole time combine that with a cold and you have a hell of a combination.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »
I've got a cold now too, not too bad but anything that bothers my breathing gets the HA going, and since its coming from sinus drip it seems worse when I first am going to sleep.  Also sometimes have  a headache/stuffy head feeling.  no temp yet, that's good. Just got over a three week cold late last year.  I think when we don't feel good due to anxiety/depression or whatever it heightens the sensations of a "normal" sickness and increases worry.  And of course I am tired, but that can go with the meds, mind condition, and/or the cold.  I have not been feeling great moodwise the last few days, but that could be for other reasons, but the cold doesn't help, its just another little stressor, along with a growling stomach that seems to be related to my mood too (good it disappears or lessens, worse it acts up).  Although I never do sick well, I do remember the difference between getting a cold before and after this anxiety episode, and I definitely worry more now as opposed to before, its normal for us.  But the cold will go away, if it gets really bad I would visit a doctor just for reassurance.  Hope you feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 05:38:28 PM »
Thank You for Your replies :)  The tiredness/weakness is going away, but I've got the most watery/burning eyes.  Not sure if it's my allergies, the dry house air or my cold?.  Anyway, I thought maybe the bouquet of flowers my husband gave me for Valentines day might have been the culprit, since I have pretty bad allergies to grass/trees/ragweed, I just thought, could it be the flowers?.  So, I got  the flowers, added  more water to the vase, and put it outside this morning.  But my eyes are still irritated.  Ugh!  It's frustrating, but hopefully it will subside soon.   I look like I've been smoking something funny  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 51
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »
Glad you are feeling better . . .could be allergies . . . could just be the pressure of the sinuses as they drain and it could be that you are still fatigued but you are trying to speed along the process and you are a bit overtired . . . .if your house is dry, then that will contribute and also if you have not been drinking enough fluids . . . you might be borderline dehydrated . . . .I think that you are on the mend. . . .so long as it just looks as if you have been smoking something funny, you're okay . . . :) Take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
Hi everyone! Well I have discovered the culprit behind my burning, watery eyes--and it wasn't my cold.  Last week I ran out of my daily facial moisturizer, so I went to the store but they were out of the brand I usually get so I thought I'd try a different one.  It is Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturizer w/30 SPF.  I have had similar reactions to facial moisturizers that don't agree w/me and it is always burning, watery eyes.  I didn't relate my eyes to the moisturizer until I thought about it yesterday.  So this morning I didn't use it, and low and behold, no eye issues!  I found a few sites on the internet with the same complaints of burning, watery eyes after using the same moisturizer (Aveeno...).

I'm thinking I might be allergic to an ingredient in the moisturizer :(  Well at least my eyes are feeling better today   :yes:  Thanks For Reading!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: