Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Back and flank pain...freaking out again  (Read 294 times)

Offline Steelers629

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Back and flank pain...freaking out again
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:41:53 AM »
Hi everybody, could use some input on strange and worrying symptoms I've been having.

It started around New Years with a sore back and groin. I thought maybe I was having a kidney stone since my father has had many. It was a sharp stabbing pain in the back and didnt feel like a muscle pull. I was standing at the sink brushing my teeth and got a sudden stabbing pain. The pain ended up going away so I didn't think much of it.

A few weeks later I get the same back pain. I saw the chiro like I usually do but it didnt help. I was also getting pain in both sides and also my groin and abdomen. The lymph node in the left side of my neck was also swollen. I went to GP and he felt around and didnt think there was anything wrong with my kidneys and that it would go away on its own. The pain went away in a few days and he also tested my urine which was free of blood.

So fast forward to now and the back pain comes back. I also get it sometimes in my flank and abdomen. I also have pain in both ears that gets worse with chewing. I also keep getting a tickle in my throat that makes me cough sometimes.

I can't stop freaking out because many of these symptoms are characteristic of lymphoma. Ive felt fatigued for weeks often feeling like crap after a full nights sleep. The node in my neck has since gone back to being pea sized and I don't think any nodes in my groin or armpit are swollen. I'm a 25 YO male by the way. Any insight would be appreciated. I don't like to keep going back to the doctor every week.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Steelers629

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Back and flank pain...freaking out again
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:26:26 PM »
Anybody? I've had a rough couple days dealing with this. The pain doesn't feel muscular and it comes and goes. Getting more pain in my abdomen too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mustardtiger56

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 11:11:35 PM »
Flank pain that comes and goes is not a symptom of lymphoma as far as I know. The fact that your lymph node got smaller almost rules it out. I have many palpable lymph nodes in my neck and armpit. As long as they are not larger than 2.5cm and remain static in size you have nothing to worry about. I had a lymphoma scare as well, today I've also been experiencing a stabbing flank pain.  Occasional pains are normal for everyone. As long as they aren't severe,persistent(10+mins),or accompanied by other symptoms like fever you are most likely fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Steelers629

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 07:07:51 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I am not running a fever (of course I check every day) or having chills or night sweats.  It's just hard for me to not think about.  I do a lot of lifting at work and the back pain doesn't seem to get worse when I lift a certain way or another.  That's what's so worrisome to me.  I've strained back muscles before and had muscle spasms and this doesn't feel like that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I am not running a fever (of course I check every day) or having chills or night sweats.  It's just hard for me to not think about.  I do a lot of lifting at work and the back pain doesn't seem to get worse when I lift a certain way or another.  That's what's so worrisome to me.  I've strained back muscles before and had muscle spasms and this doesn't feel like that.

I take it that because you are on an anxiety site that you must have an inkling that you are a nervous or anxious or even depressed person, and therefore wouldn't it be logical to attribute the back and flank pain that comes and goes to your nerves or anxiety, especially after all your tests are negative?  The sooner you do this and seek additional help for anxiety/stress/depression the better.  Do this now at 25 vs having strange and ongoing symptoms that further freak you out and increase your anxiety.  It's easier to adjust your thinking when you are younger, and who wants to live with the fear you have for the next 50 or so?  Nobody.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: lymphoma