Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Dealing with disappointment  (Read 160 times)

Online BrookeAshley1

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • I may not know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
    • Poke This Member
Dealing with disappointment
« on: February 16, 2014, 09:04:33 AM »
I was wondering how you all deal with disappointment. Does it trigger your GAD? Do you find after being disappointed that your anxiety is worse for several days following?

I find that anytime I go through a disappointment phase that it severely kicks up my anxiety. Since disappointments are a BIG part of life and being an adult, I am looking for some advice on how to deal with these feelings without it having a big impact on my anxiety.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Bookmark and Share
Giving up is always an option, but it is never my choice.

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dealing with disappointment
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »
Disappointments can stem from setbacks. Like we have a panic attack, not having had one in a year. We feel like we let ourselves down. It is like we are angry at ourselves. Which we shouldn't be. Because setbacks happen. They happen to us all. This is were we have to dig even deeper and pull ourselves back up and face up to things again. Our way of saying ' you are not going to beat me '. If it was a setback I tend to go to the exact place I had the setback. Be it a panic attack or whatever. I will spend time there. Showing myself I can still go to this place. That what happened was a once off event. It is only if we let it get in under our skin that it can set us back even further. I know there are many forms of disappointment. But try and not be too hard on yourself. Accept we can all slip up at times. It is part of life. Don't keep beating yourself up over it. Learn how to let things go. Move on from it. Become a stronger person.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tivis14

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • I love you all
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:11:39 PM »
Disappointment is normal in life and failure is a great teacher, Successful people all have met with disappointment and failed before, I like to read stories of great persons in the world who met with failures and difficulties in their lives before experiencing a success finally, it is a great inspiration.
Bookmark and Share
How to deal with Anxiety disorder in children
: http://www.anxietydisorderinchildren.com

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:45:06 PM »
Hi Brooke...

Your post reminds me of a story of the great inventor, Thomas Edison.  Edison was trying to find a filament that would work for his incandescence light.  A reporter asked him for an interview, and brought-up the light.  Edison replied that he had "successfully" tested 400 different filaments that didn't work.  The reported then stated, "So the tests were failures.", to which Edison replied, "Not at all!  I successfully found that they didn't work."  Of course Edison went on to find a filament that did work.

For Edison, failure was a form of success.  Disappointment is the emotion that some of us 'choose' to feel when failure is upon us.  Instead of disappointment, Edison chose happiness.  He found happiness in his failures, knowing that they brought him one step closer to success...

As always, the very best to you, Brooke!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: