Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Suggestions for switch to Valium  (Read 941 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm giving it another go...
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »
because I kept thinking that klon was maybe something special for my brain,

In a way the benzodiazepines (BZDs) are special because they directly make up for the fewer BZD-GABA binding sites we have. However, Klonopin is just another BZD which does the same thing as all the others.

that losing it would make me lose the confident person Ive become

You're selling yourself short. Klonopin may have stopped the anxiety, but the confident you is all your own doing!

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
Insights
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »
in·sight·ful
/inˈsītfəl/
adjective: insightful
having or showing an accurate and deep understanding; perceptive.

Insights is a perfect screen name for you Ian. I wish that you were able to hike with me daily and counsel me!
Btw, I feel gr8 today, after taking my 5mg valium with .25mg klonopin last night. I know this good feeling will come and go, ebb and flow, kind of like waves. And thanks for helping me.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline Frotob

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Suggestions for switch to Valium
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 06:19:04 PM »
Hey Hiking, just wanted to chime in as I recently crossed over from Ativan to Valium, as Valium is said to be easier to taper off of and I wasn't having a great time with the first cut off of Ativan.

I would be interested in knowing how many times you dose daily, if it's just 1 dose daily - then yeah, doing half klon and half valium for about a week and then switching to full valium would be fine. Sedation is a normal side effect of the Valium AT FIRST. Feeling overly sedated doesn't necessarily mean that you're higher than what you need to cover the Klonopin Withdrawal. I agree with Insights in saying you'll probably need 10mg of Valium.

I dosed 3times daily with Ativan and and crossed over to Valium over the course of 11 days, I did feel sedated at first but the sedation wore off completely at around day 9 off the crossover. I will write up my crossover schedule for you so you get an idea of how I did it. Again, if you're dosing once per day this probably won't be necessary - but I'll draw it up as a reference in case anyone else needs it in the future.

My Morning Dose of Ativan was .4mg . . Mid day was .25mg . . evening was .25mg totalling .9mg - I found the valium equivalent to be 9mgs. Here's how I crossed over.

Evening Dose
Day 1: .125mg Ativan 1.25mg Valium
Day 2: Same as day 1
Day 3: 2.5mg Valium
Day 4: Same as day 3
Morning Dose
Day 5: .2mg Ativan 2.0mg Valium
Day 6: Same as day 5
Day 7: 4mg Valium
Day 8: Same as day 7
Middle Dose
Day 9: .125mg Ativan 1.25mg Valium
Day 10: Same as day 9
Day 11: 2.5mg Valium

Once crossed over it's advisable to wait 2-4 weeks before you begin making any cuts to your dosage, as the Valium will continue to build up in your body to something like 5x your daily dose in the first month. Crossing over this way was, for me - basically a non event. It should be said that the success of your crossover and taper in general greatly depends on the state in which you begin. . . That is to say you should try to get on a dose where you're as stable as possible and hold there for a week before crossing over or making any further cuts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Insights
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »
Insights is a perfect screen name for you Ian.

:-*  You're undoing all my wife's hard work deflating my ego. 

I wish that you were able to hike with me

Hiking? That might interfere with my day job as a slothful Buddha statue model.  :winking0008:

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
Re: Suggestions for switch to Valium
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »
Hey Hiking, just wanted to chime in as I recently crossed over from Ativan to Valium, as Valium is said to be easier to taper off of and I wasn't having a great time with the first cut off of Ativan.

I would be interested in knowing how many times you dose daily, if it's just 1 dose daily - then yeah, doing half klon and half valium for about a week and then switching to full valium would be fine. Sedation is a normal side effect of the Valium AT FIRST. Feeling overly sedated doesn't necessarily mean that you're higher than what you need to cover the Klonopin Withdrawal. I agree with Insights in saying you'll probably need 10mg of Valium.

I dosed 3times daily with Ativan and and crossed over to Valium over the course of 11 days, I did feel sedated at first but the sedation wore off completely at around day 9 off the crossover. I will write up my crossover schedule for you so you get an idea of how I did it. Again, if you're dosing once per day this probably won't be necessary - but I'll draw it up as a reference in case anyone else needs it in the future.

My Morning Dose of Ativan was .4mg . . Mid day was .25mg . . evening was .25mg totalling .9mg - I found the valium equivalent to be 9mgs. Here's how I crossed over.

Evening Dose
Day 1: .125mg Ativan 1.25mg Valium
Day 2: Same as day 1
Day 3: 2.5mg Valium
Day 4: Same as day 3
Morning Dose
Day 5: .2mg Ativan 2.0mg Valium
Day 6: Same as day 5
Day 7: 4mg Valium
Day 8: Same as day 7
Middle Dose
Day 9: .125mg Ativan 1.25mg Valium
Day 10: Same as day 9
Day 11: 2.5mg Valium

Once crossed over it's advisable to wait 2-4 weeks before you begin making any cuts to your dosage, as the Valium will continue to build up in your body to something like 5x your daily dose in the first month. Crossing over this way was, for me - basically a non event. It should be said that the success of your crossover and taper in general greatly depends on the state in which you begin. . . That is to say you should try to get on a dose where you're as stable as possible and hold there for a week before crossing over or making any further cuts.
This makes a lot of sense. Yes, I am only on one dose a day. Thanks for ur input
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
Re: Insights
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 07:17:28 AM »
Insights is a perfect screen name for you Ian.

:-*  You're undoing all my wife's hard work deflating my ego. 

I wish that you were able to hike with me

Hiking? That might interfere with my day job as a slothful Buddha statue model.  :winking0008:

Ian

Buddha-eh? All the more reason to hike daily! Married people sometimes forget their partner's charms, but it's also ebb and flow. I find the longer Im married, the more rich the experience becomes. To know another so well is a gift. And today I feel well, the valium is less sedating. I was up and at 'em at 6am! Good day to you, get out and hike!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: