Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Suggestions for switch to Valium  (Read 779 times)

Online insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Suggestions for switch to Valium
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 09:40:24 PM »
Ian, I just saw ur post. So ur suggesting I do 1/2 klonopin with the Valium for 2 weeks?

No, should have made it clearer. I was suggesting that once you're only on the 10mg/day of Valium you continue taking it for at least a week so that plasma levels stabilize before you begin tapering off. Two weeks might be even better.

As for taking half Klonopin and half Valium for an extra week, I suggest you wait until the first week is up. If you're doing okay then there is probably no physical reason to delay moving to straight Valium. However, if you feel more comfortable waiting a while longer that's okay too. The important thing is to go at a pace you're happy with. There isn't anyone handing out gold stars for setting records. This is one situation where the tortoise almost always does much better than the hare.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 07:35:49 AM »
Well, I took 5mg valium last night with .25mg klonopin. The combo felt sooo heavy, like I was trying to walk in quicksand. I did not like that, I felt drugged. Im almost thinking I should just go to 10mg valium by itself and stop the klonopin? The 2 together is what I think made it weird for me. I also know that maybe valium will be more sedating until I get used to it. I thought, "did i make a mistake? is klonopin really the best med for my brain?"  But I want to give this a shot. I have to at least see. I know my pdoc will allow me to restart k at any time. I slept just ok tho, so it was a weird feeling, like I was tired but couldnt sleep. I finally did tho, and now that Im up and about, I feel ok, not dizzy or anything. What to do, what to do??!!
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »
What to do, what to do?

I think you're over analyzing it. There are bound to be some hiccups along the way which you just need to allow time to sort out. If being zonked for a few hours is the worst thing that happens to you then you'll have been lucky. The Valium might produce some additional sedation for a week or so. Try taking it just before lights out.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »
i realized as the day progressed that I was thinking about it too much. I hiked 4 1/2mi & decided this is my best chance to get the monkey off my back. I will continue. This little klon is not gonna decide, I am. My hubby told me today that of all the people he knows, I could survive being dropped off in Siberia alone! So, if he sees me as that tough person, then surely I will conquer this! He knows me well!
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline Andrew90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 09:16:46 PM »
Please keep us updated on how your transition to Valium goes for you. I have a keen interest in this subject.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
Andrew90
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 07:34:51 AM »
I didnt want to post anymore, but felt I owed it to u. For all my bravado, I couldn't do it. I hated the valium. It didn't cover the klon withdrawal symptoms, and felt soooo strong and heavy, my experience. I went back to my .5mg klonopin last night, and feel normal, and great again. So, either I accept it, or Im gonna have to taper directly from klon. I really didn't like valium. And I tried 5mg and it should've been enough to cover, but no way would I be able to take 10mg. But I found this article, for future use for me, and thought u might like to go over it. I guess I could still be dropped off in Siberia and survive, but not w/o klon. I will try again someday. :(
http://www.hughes12.com/tapering_xanax.htm
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Andrew90
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 03:58:28 PM »
or Im gonna have to taper directly from klon.

You could try it using Klonopin liquid. It is a little more complicated and possibly more expensive, however.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 05:22:50 PM »
I may get to the point where I will have to try the liquid. Did u read the link about using the nail file? Thoughts on shaving pills?!
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 06:01:59 PM »
I may get to the point where I will have to try the liquid. Did u read the link about using the nail file? Thoughts on shaving pills?!

Sure, it can be done. The problem may be whether most will do it accurately in the long term. The most difficult part of quitting is the last few tapers when you're down to very small amounts of the drug. The short acting BZDs like Xanax have the additional problem that at low doses it is possible to develop a yo-yo effect as the drug enters and drops out of the system which can be unpleasant. The longer Klonopin half-life may negate this, diazepam definitely will.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
In ur opinion, what did I do wrong with valium? I took 5mg with .25mg klonopin. Felt terrible. I wonder if I should've gone higher on the valium and to control the k withdrawal or was I experiencing valium yuckiness.  I guess u can only know by trying. It felt like as the days went on, that I was just going to have the klon w/drawal anyway, along with the drugged valium feeling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 07:01:33 PM »
my pdoc said that valium and klon were cross tolerant, which I took to mean, I would feel no diff transferring btw the 2. Is that so? Did I just have the dose of valium wrong?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 11:28:24 PM »
my pdoc said that valium and klon were cross tolerant, which I took to mean, I would feel no diff transferring btw the 2. Is that so? Did I just have the dose of valium wrong?

Yes, they are. They both hit exactly the anxiety related same binding sites in the same way, though diazepam was probably also hitting those associated with sedation to some degree. Tolerance to this usually builds up fairly quickly.

There dose of the two was about right at 0.25mg Klonopin and 5mg Valium, though people vary in their reactions to the different BZDs, so maybe a milligram more, or less of Valium may have been better, however, most adapt to such small variations within a few days.

I wonder whether at least part of the difficulty you had was psychological, perhaps triggered by this:
She said she would prefer that I just take 5mg valium or try 7 1/2mg rather than 10, but if I need it, to go to 10mg. She feels that 10mg valium will feel too strong to me.
anxious minds have a way of picking up such statements and using them against us. 

To put dosing into perspective, Klonopin was developed as a high potency replacement for Valium because epileptics were having to take up to 200mg/day, sometimes even much more. Swallowing 20+ 10mg tablets every day soon loses its appeal, and gets expensive.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
I'm giving it another go...
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 06:55:17 AM »
I researched everything I could find last night on crossing over to valium. And also took in what Ian(Insights) has told me. I decided to go back to .25mg klon and 5mg valium. I need to give this more time. And I was having some psychological things going on, because I kept thinking that klon was maybe something special for my brain, that losing it would make me lose the confident person Ive become. Then there is something else that is pushing me to give this a go. I can try this, give it more time, and see where Im at.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 08:44:24 AM »
Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »
Thanks, I'll keep on slogging ahead, and maybe one day, cross the finish line!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: