Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Suggestions for switch to Valium  (Read 977 times)

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
Suggestions for switch to Valium
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »
I am going to propose switching from .5mg klonopin over to valium, at my pdoc appt in March. I would like to know if I should ask for 10mg valium, and then do 1/2 klonopin, 1/2 valium for a week or so, then go over completely to valium and stabilize on 10mg for awhile. Then I planned to go down 2mg or 1mg every 2 weeks on valium, to get off of benzos. I have been on klonopin for 5 yrs. I have tried several times to taper and I have terrible withdrawal symptoms and do not continue. Ive tried taking off a tiny piece and still have issues. Will it be easier to taper from valium? Should I gradually go over to valium or just go directly over to it?
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Online insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Suggestions for switch to Valium
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:07:20 PM »
Then I planned to go down 2mg or 1mg every 2 weeks on valium

Because of the long Valium half-life it might be better to drop the dose every 3-4 weeks, especially for the last few milligrams, as it takes this long for plasma levels to stabilize after each dose adjustment.

Will it be easier to taper from valium?

Yes, its longer half-life will give a smoother ride, and the big small dose tablets make it much easier to taper down in small steps.

Should I gradually go over to valium or just go directly over to it?

IME, it isn't usually necessary to cross taper, but if you're more comfortable doing it this way then go for it. Confidence is very important to the process.

It is also important to have the anxiety well under control with another treatment before considering going off benzodiazepines. Quite often what are thought to be withdrawal symptoms are actually caused by the underlying anxiety reasserting itself.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice Ian. I'm glad u mentioned going 3-4 weeks btw reductions, I wouldn't have thought of that. My pdoc makes lots of diff suggestions & lets me choose the direction I want to go, so I like to be very informed b4 I go in. I also like the idea of going directly over to Valium. I actually feel more anxious about taking them at the same time. As for treating my disorder, I will need to get that straight too. I may try Prozac, I took it a few times & it seemed to agree with me.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »
I actually feel more anxious about taking them at the same time.

There is no need to be. They do exactly the same thing once they're in the brain. Provided the dose of each is appropriate there won't be a problem. But as I said, go with whatever you're comfortable with. Confidence is way more important than chemistry. Trying to wean off any med when you're not happy with the process is almost guaranteed to end in failure.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Andrew90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
I will be curious to read about your experience making the crossover;please keep us updated on how it goes for you. I am also on Klonopin, 0.5 mg twice daily, and have been thinking about the possibility of switching over to Valium when the time comes that I feel it perhaps necessary to move forward with weaning off of benzos. Valium's very long half-life and wide flexibility in dosing makes it a good potential choice for those who wish to come off of benzo's.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
I know that Prozac helped me get off zoloft, so I believe Valium could do the same. I'm curious to see how my pdoc feels. My next appt is not until 3/31. I may try to move it up, but it's hard to get in. I've found that all psychiatrists r so busy! Must b a lucrative field!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »
I got in today on a cancellation, and was given the ok to switch to valium. She said they are cross tolerant, and I should have no trouble. She said, if I choose, I can do 1/2 klonopin , and 5mg valium for a week, then stop the klonopin. She said she would prefer that I just take 5mg valium or try 7 1/2mg rather than 10, but if I need it, to go to 10mg. She feels that 10mg valium will feel too strong to me. What do u guys think? I cant pick up my script until tomorrow afternoon, because I had them order Teva Generic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
Forgot to mention, she's giving me 60, 5mg pills per month to work with. My fear of tapering has left me. Now, I'm feeling more like I'm getting a monkey off my back!
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 03:45:20 PM »
She said she would prefer that I just take 5mg valium or try 7 1/2mg rather than 10, but if I need it, to go to 10mg. She feels that 10mg valium will feel too strong to me.

While everyone responds to each of the benzodiazepines differently, generally 10mg Valium is the equivalent of 0.5mg Klonopin. You may find it slightly more or less so, but I'd be very surprised if 5mg was adequate and even 7.5mg is likely to be a stretch. If you decide to try a lower dose be aware that it may take a few days for any withdrawal symptoms to surface because of the longish Klonopin half-life.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 06:36:05 PM »
I'm honestly looking to propose the same request to my psychiatrist on Thursday. If you get yours done before me, let me know how it goes. vice versa. I'm nervous.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
I picked up my 5mg valium today. I plan to 1/2 my klonopin tonight, and take with the valium. Will do this for a week, then stop the klonopin, if all goes well.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 05:55:48 PM »
I picked up my 5mg valium today. I plan to 1/2 my klonopin tonight, and take with the valium. Will do this for a week, then stop the klonopin, if all goes well.

I suggest you allow at least another week on Valium to stabilize before starting the taper.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »
I"m waiting on a callback from my Psychiatrist :mad0228:... I'm out of my KLonopin but I have an appointment with her tomorrow morning at 8 am. I might propose a different benzodiazepene. I've only taken this one for two weeks.

I'm nervous, Was it hard to propose?
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 06:28:25 PM »
yes it was difficult for me. I was glad they took my bp after appt instead of b4. But once I got started, I found myself very assertive about what I wanted to do & why. I had rehearsed the main points I wanted to make. I had a lot to say & she heard me out. It went well & I'm hoping the same for you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 07:59:01 PM »
Ian, I just saw ur post. So ur suggesting I do 1/2 klonopin with the Valium for 2 weeks? Ok I will do that because I prefer to take it slow. Do u think I can drop the k at .25 or should I cut that in 1/2 for another 2 weeks, or just see how I feel? Thanks for giving me more options!

Bookmark and Share

Tags: