Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does this sound like MS?  (Read 414 times)

Offline mrdave92

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does this sound like MS?
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:30:54 AM »
I've suffered so many symptoms for so long now that I've taken the decision to pursue a private scan, I can't accept that they are all caused by anxiety as they are so strange and unusual, I am fairly inexperienced with MS and don't have a great understanding of it but all I know is that many of my symptoms relate to that or a BT. Do any of you know much about MS and can you offer me any advice or enlightenment on what I might be going through?

Symptoms- cold drops on skin, burning skin, pain all over (joints, face, muscles etc) itchiness, headaches, sharp pains, head pains, muscle twitches, eye twitches, full body vibrating, eye floaters, eye pain, Tremors in hands, muscle jerking, loud gurgling stomach, irritable, mood swings, ear pain, pins and needles in feet, tingling fingers and toes, very unsteady on feet, dizziness. These symptoms are constant all day long and are driving me insane :(

I've seen doctors who've said it's nothing serious and had bloods, neurological exams, urine and optic nerve tests all come back clear but my guts telling me something's really wrong here and I need a private brain MRI to prove it
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does this sound like MS?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 07:41:58 AM »
There is way too many overlapping between anxiety symptoms and MS symptoms so no one can tell you if it's one or the other.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 07:43:35 AM »
Would a brain MRI give some more definitive answers?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 07:47:24 AM »
Well, sure.Brain MRI + cervical spine MRI. But many of your symptoms are more than likely caused by anxiety like muscle twitches, eye twitches, and most don't have anything to do with MS, like headache, itchiness, head pains, loud gurgling in stomach, mood swings...

Can't really advise you to throw away a lot of money to self diagnose...
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 07:51:45 AM »
A lot of my symptoms aren't related to anxiety though, I feel the only way I can move forward is with a brain MRI as I know deep down something's not right
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 07:56:05 AM »
All of the symptoms you mentioned can be due to anxiety. There are people here who said that they have huge number of symptoms simultaneously due to anxiety so I guess it is possible.

It could be something physical in your case + anxiety, or just anxiety. Strange that doctors didn't want to give you MRI. Have they at least gave you some meds for anxiety or antidepressants?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 08:54:06 AM »
I'm on Trazadone for anxiety. The doctors think that neurological exams and optic nerve tests are enough to rule out these things and say that my vast array of symptoms can only be caused by anxiety and stress
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 08:56:20 AM »
Well if you passed neurological exam and optic nerve test you probably don't have MS. As you have loss of balance, you shouldn't have passed neurological exam if it wasn't anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 10:15:56 AM »
It's more a perceived lack of balance, I feel off balance but when I walk about everyone says I look fine. I just don't feel right at all. I have hot and cold spots on my skin that are very odd along with the other symptoms
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scaredofsymptoms

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 12:12:50 AM »
I could have written your post! I'm having weird sensory issues too! I kept hoping it was anxiety since the issues presented after 2 months of high stress in my life. It started out with random muscle aches all over my body and feeling like I spent all day working out- arms were heavy and felt like I did 100 push ups when I did nothing at all, legs were achy, etc.

That went away and I got weird sharp stabby tight feeling in arches of my feet and in fleshy part of hand below thumb and palm of my hand (what i would imagine carpal tunnel to feel like). Hands felt stiff and arthritic for about a week and that went away, but the foot arch pain progressed into both of  my feet feeling off balance. I feel like I am rolling my feet all over the place and swaying to the left as I have a perceived loss of sensory feeling in the bottoms of the feet. Then I started to feel cold liquid underneath skin ( like I cold feel my blood flowing or something). That has mostly subsided but I've had episodes is random burning on top of feet, extreme coldness in feet, and my feet feel rubbery or lightweight like I really gave trouble perceiving them.

My neuro appointment was this past Friday and he thought possible MS or some kind of neuropathy.
I have to get an EMG and brain MRI on Friday.

Have you seen a neuro yet?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 06:42:53 AM »
No I'm yet to see a neurologist but I've had about 8 different neurological tests that I passed. It's just very frustrating knowing something's wrong and not having any answers. I'm hoping my GP agrees to a referral for an MRI when I see them on Thursday
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jade1

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 11:54:10 AM »
Hi mrdave,

I've had many similar symptoms as you in the past 20 months...Twitching, burning feeling on skin, dizziness, etc. I did get 2 brain MRI's and 1 cervical spine MRI. Unfortunately, it has not answered any of my questions. The MRIs came back normal. I also saw a Neuro 3 times in the past year and a half: She's telling me my Sx are caused by anxiety.

Now the main thing that is bothering me is that some of my fingers are twitching. It freaks me out so much. I had my GP give me a referral to get an EMG. I have an appointment only in April..I have two months to wait.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 01:04:29 PM »
I have a lot of the same symptoms as you. I've had neurological exams and have been told I unlikely have MS since they came back clear. As I am in Canada, a doctor has to think you need an MRI before they will order one, and the doctors will not order one for me. I'm thinking of visiting the US and buying one there to put my mind at ease.

I posted today about all my symptoms and I am sure that there is something seriously wrong with me. Check it out and let me know if you have a lot of the same symptoms. In the mean time, try not to worry too much. I know, easier said than done.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, DESNOS, Fibro and other physical issues. Nothing serious, but of course my anxious mind will often find something very serious as with other things in my life. Anxiety is a fraud. Anxiety is not YOU or ME, it is an illness.

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 01:43:34 PM »
If you have a clear MRI surely that should reassure you that you're suffering fr
Anxiety? I doubt they'll refer me for a scan but I really hope they do, I need answers urgently cos things are deteriorating rapidly
Bookmark and Share

Tags: