Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is this a pinched nerve?  (Read 333 times)

Offline gvjaguar

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this a pinched nerve?
« on: February 15, 2014, 11:04:51 PM »
Hey everyone, its been a few days since I've been here but my irrational fear of ALS has been flaring up thanks to that damn Steve Gleason commercial that keeps playing during the Olympics.. I wish that would end. Anyways here's the issue,

as many of you know, I began experiencing muscle twitches in my legs after starting a job working as a cashier and was standing for long hours in terrible shoes that killer my feet and lower back. After I started working i began having spontaneous twitches in both legs in my feet, calves, knees, quads, thighs, hips, butt, back, neck, arms and shoulders after lifting sometimes. Sometimes when i sit down i had a weird buzzing/vibrating sensation in my butt/thigh. Curiously, i took my knee and pulled it to my chest and the weird buzzing would happen again, i could make it happen sometimes. Does this sound like a pinched nerve?

another thing is, if i sleep with a pillow under the right spot in my back i can make the muscle twitches cease or pretty much stop, same thing if i bend forward far enough... They pretty much stop. I'm just so scared of having ALS at 21 years old, but since the twitching is all over it can't possibly be ALS right? I should also mention I've had previous injuries to my knees during my sports career, including one the month i started working as a cashier. I read that twitching thighs could be a sign on Wikipedia and that scared me senseless.

any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I just want this all to end so badly. Lastly, I've also lifted for the past two years and may have messed up my back from repetitive strains from improper lifting.. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this a pinched nerve?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:49:35 AM »
I'm not a doctor so I can't say, but I'm sure it's possible you could have a pinched nerve as they are common. I do think you are paying way to much attention and over analyzing these little twitches and sensations just like most of us hypos do. It's one of those things that you probably wouldn't even notice if you weren't anxious and thinking about it. Remember that ALS is extremely rare and that what you are experiencing are not symptoms of ALS from what I have read. They are a "symptom" of anxiety though, as many here that have experienced the same thing can tell you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 06:25:15 AM »
ALS does NOT present like that.  And it mainly starts in a hand or foot.   Also the weakness is SO great that one day you can pick up a milk carton, the next day you can't.  Not that it's hard or you feel tired, you CAN'T pick it up.  You don't have ALS. 
(ANYONE can write in Wikipedia.  Anyone who can access that site can edit ANY of the articles.  It's not written by experts or professionals.  How do you know that someone just wanting to be silly or scare people didn't write that?)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 06:44:37 AM »
It's not ALS for sure. You just don't have symptoms of it...
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »
Thanks to all of you for replying. So basically you think there is nothing to worry about? Like if I can manipulate my position to reduce or make the twitches stop then its not ALS and more likely a pinched nerve or something like that? I could in all likelihood have a bulging disk from years of improper lifting too.

also, this won't develop into ALS because that's basically in your genetics and not something you can force yourself to have? I'm 21 and too young for this nonsense.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 12:45:53 PM »
You shouldn't even know what ALS is...you don't have symptoms of it, you don't have age for it. Will you get it at some point in your life, in 30-40-50 years. Most likely no because it is rare disease, but who knows. No point in worrying about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 06:28:22 PM »
So the chances of getting at at 21 are basically 0? And its something that's in your genetics, you can't just worry yourself into having it? Could a pinched nerve really cause this to happen of I can make the sensations stop by positioning my body In a certain position?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
    Cold
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 06:53:32 PM »
So the chances of getting at at 21 are basically 0? And its something that's in your genetics, you can't just worry yourself into having it? Could a pinched nerve really cause this to happen of I can make the sensations stop by positioning my body In a certain position?

Yes a pinched nerve could be causing your symptoms I imagine. The lifetime risk of developing ALS by the age of 70 is less than 1% so the lifetime risk in itself is near 0, let alone at your age. Are you doing anything to work on controlling your anxiety at all? I ask because anxiety is what is causing you issues, not something like ALS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »
No, you can't get ALS by worrying about it. Treat your anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »
No, I haven't done anything to manage my anxiety but maybe I should look into it. All I know is that if I bend my body in a certain way the twitching stops pretty much, which is why I think its a pinched nerve, that and I can pull my leg to my chest and cause the buzzing/vibrations to happen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »
Bad shoes are a recipe for disaster. Try Getting supportive shoes first. New balance sneakers are really good. If it doesn't get better check with your doctor, but it really sound muscular.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
    Cold
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
No, I haven't done anything to manage my anxiety but maybe I should look into it. All I know is that if I bend my body in a certain way the twitching stops pretty much, which is why I think its a pinched nerve, that and I can pull my leg to my chest and cause the buzzing/vibrations to happen.

Until you do something to help your anxiety, the worrying is most likely not going to go away. Anxiety produces worry that in turn feeds the anxiety. If you can afford it, therapy is a good place to start as a therapist can give you the tools to help control it. If not there are always self help resources that teach Cognitive Behavioral Therapy which have proven results with anxiety. Depending on your level of anxiety, like if it is interfering with your daily life, it may be well to talk to a doctor about meds as well. These are usually the best places to start trying to help yourself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 11:07:29 PM »
Yeah... the first few weeks my feet and back were absolutely in pain during work from standing in one place on those terrible shoes with no support... im just wondering if that has something to do with it... and my previous knee injuries. Also, I noticed I've been having like acid reflux or something like that ever since wearing a back brace. It's pretty tight around my stomach... could it be possibly causing that? It's definitely not indicative of ALS I hope. I just think that since I can sit in a certain way to make the twitching stop makes me think that it's just a misaligned spine or pinched nerve. Since the twitches are all over, it can't be ALS.

And yeah, anxiety runs in the family particularly on my mom's side. I've had anxiety issues my whole life and after being forced to read Tuesday's with Morrie in high school i've been absolutely terrified of getting the disease. I tried to get my GP to prescribe me muscle relaxants but she was hesitant because she thought it was drastic considering my age. I really feel as if the muscle twitching in my legs, back, and other areas would stop, everything would be fine. But you guys think I'm okay then? I really think it's posture related since it all started when I started working as a cashier.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gvjaguar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Any other thoughts? Think this could be postural related? I've been wearing a back brace and it's been seeming to help a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 09:25:58 AM »
If it's bothering you that much you should go to doctor to get it checked. No one here can tell you what it is exactly, but it is not ALS.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: